Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short version: My turn signals work perfectly when the engine is off, but when I fire it up and start riding they don't flash, just get brighter when I hit the switch.

---

I just got my first Harley and am super excited. I couldn't afford a new one, so I bought a used 1997 DXWG with only 9800 miles on it.

My ride home was a little disheartening though! Midway the shifter peg flew off, and I had to ride back in 5th gear. My starts were super slow and I pissed a lot of people off, but I made it back safe! I was able to find the thread size online and got a 3" bolt from home depot and fashioned a make-shift peg so I could ride until a replacement came (and I was sure to use blue loctite!).

Anyway, the other thing I noticed is that the left turn signal just lights up brighter and stays solid (instead of flashing), and the right turn signal alternates between flashing some of the times I hit it, and just staying solid like the left. The indicators near the speedometer stay solid or flash, mimicking what the light does. Whats odd is, when the engine is killed, or before I fire the engine up and the bike is in Ignition or Accessories, the blinkers work perfectly.

Anyone experience anything like this? I tried searching, but everything I found says replace the bulbs - but I'm certain its not the bulbs as they function perfectly when the engine isn't running.

Let's just say I don't have the best luck with law enforcement, so I'd REALLY like to find out what this is and get it fixed ASAP before I get pulled over for it. Any ideas you guys could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Maybe a filament burnt out in your brake light? Check to see if your brake light is dual filament and if both are in tact. My turn signals on my bike and jeep act differently when there is a problem with my tail light.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just checked, and both filaments in the brake light are functioning though.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Try the turn signal relay....

If it isn't that, and it isn't the bulbs, only thing left would be a wire shorting out somewhere... probably in the back fender.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Check the voltage while the bike is running, if the regulator is allowing the charge voltage to get too high it could cause the flasher to act up.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If the wiring underneath the fender is ok, check the connector to the TSSM, maybe it is not pushed on all the way, the vibration of the bike may be causing the connector to lose contact.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Try the turn signal relay....

If it isn't that, and it isn't the bulbs, only thing left would be a wire shorting out somewhere... probably in the back fender.
The problem with this is the turn signal relay/module is about $150.00
so futher trouble shooting is in order.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
The problem with this is the turn signal relay/module is about $150.00
so futher trouble shooting is in order.
:eek Leave it to HD to turn a $5 part into a $150 part!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
:eek Leave it to HD to turn a $5 part into a $150 part!
Don`t single out the MoCo...

If ya think 150 bucks is high, price a lighting control module for your car.... :eek-surprise

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Don`t single out the MoCo...

If ya think 150 bucks is high, price a lighting control module for your car.... :eek-surprise
Or the FORD ABS control module, ask me how I know....

·
Registered
12,940 Posts
What BobF said about voltage with engine running. My Speedometer changed colors and indicator lights on dash blinked on and off. Check for good grounds also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just changed my indicators and had the same issue. The new indicators I purchased had 3 wires (red green black) my sportster had 2 ( purple and black). I wound up splicing the purple into both the green and red on my left side rear indicator. That resulted in power surging in first gear..weird. Gonna take a look at it this weekend and will update if I figure t out. Good luck on your end and congrats on the bike man !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just changed my indicators and had the same issue. The new indicators I purchased had 3 wires (red green black) my sportster had 2 ( purple and black). I wound up splicing the purple into both the green and red on my left side rear indicator. That resulted in power surging in first gear..weird. Gonna take a look at it this weekend and will update if I figure t out. Good luck on your end and congrats on the bike man !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your 3 wire signals allow for running lights AND turn signals. Your bike apparently only used the indicators for turn signals.
The Black wire is ground.
The red and green are for running and turn. You don't need both hooked up. Leave one stubbed off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your 3 wire signals allow for running lights AND turn signals. Your bike apparently only used the indicators for turn signals.
The Black wire is ground.
The red and green are for running and turn. You don't need both hooked up. Leave one stubbed off.
End of story? Was that the fix???

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
End of story? Was that the fix???
The first post on this thread is from Oct 2015, last post was Oct 2016... I would bet it got it figured out within the past 4 years. I'm not busting on you. I see you are new to the forum. We ALL have been bit by the date stamp on old post, believe me! At the top of each post is the time/Date stamp. Welcome to the forum!

if you are having this same issue on your bike: Please post your concern, as well as the Model and year. Oh yes, along with what you have done to it so far helps a TON.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I realize this is an older thread but I have the exact same problem as the discussion starter. My bike is a1992 Fatboy flstf. Turn signals work when the ignition switch is on but engine is off or is at idle. Both sides flash front and back and the indicators on the dash also flash properly. As soon as I rev the engine the turn signals stop flashing but remain bright until I cancel them. I checked voltage at the battery with engine at idle and the voltage fluctuates between 13.5 and 14.2 vdc. When I rev the engine the voltage holds steady at 14.4 vdc at various rpm (1500 to 3500rpm). I think those readings are within spec.
A little history: I've had this bike for less than a year and the turn signals were working properly when I got it but the engine was running poorly because the carburetor had a plugged pilot jet. Removed the carb, cleaned it up and re-installed it and the engine runs fine now but the turn signals stopped working properly. I figured I must have disturbed some wiring so I removed the right side gas tank to gain access to the wiring. The only obvious problem was a bare spot on a wire to the one of the speedometer lights. I disconnected and reconnected all the visible plugs including the plug to the TSM. The problem remains so I'm thinking I need to replace the TSM.
If anyone has knowledge of this issue I'm all ears. Also any thoughts on the aftermarket modules such as "Badlands Run, Brake and Turn Signal Module ILL-01" would also be appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts