Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
00fxd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2000 Dyna with 30,000mi has been sitting for a year. This off season I took it into a shop to have the Tensioner shoes replaced with "Cycos".
Installed 17045-99d Timing chest service kit with upgraded head breathers.
All new timing chest bearings.
I did not have the tech install adjustable push rods, had the rocker boxed removed, installed rocker lockers and retained the stock push rods.
Took the bike out for the first time today and it's blowing the oil cap off and oil all over hell.
Could the tech have overlooked a timing issue?
Could there be a plugged vent from sitting?
What else could it be?
Thanks for any clues.
Frank

·
Just Ride
3,112 Posts
O-ring at oil pump ain't right.

·
Retired citizen
22,897 Posts
Agreed, oil pump problem. Maybe the o-ring or the gear rotors installed ass backwards etc. Was this a certified H-D mechanic doing the work ?
OR overfilled oil tank. Those Dynas only take about 2 ½ qts of oil.

·
00fxd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, oil pump problem. Maybe the o-ring or the gear rotors installed ass backwards etc. Was this a certified H-D mechanic doing the work ?
OR overfilled oil tank. Those Dynas only take about 2 ½ qts of oil.
Thanks SCHMIDTY. The oil level was perfect, down 1/2 quart now, the rest on my leg.The mechanic had HD Certified certificates on the wall, it did not look at them specifically, just spoke to him, older guy, got good vibes which rarely happens with me. This is the first time I have ever taken my bike into a shop - I always done ALL of my own work, going back to my shovel days, I'm older now, don't ride as much, and didn't want to buy new tools for a one time job ....,. f.....ck ......

·
Retired citizen
22,897 Posts
Yes I hear ya on that about not buying all the special tools to do just one repair. I had to buy all the special tools because I do this shit all the time, so for me I'm good. For the one timer tho I say let someone that has the tools do the work.
00fxd in your situation I would go back to the mech that did the work and ask some serious questions.

·
00fxd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey SCHMIDTY. Thanks again. I intend to be there first thing Monday AM. With you guys help I am hoping to be prepared with some knowledge and Ideas. I am really bummed and a bit sheepish for not having done my own repair as it is - my personal credibility is suffering here. I worked at a dealership in 2000. I pushed the bike off the crate, did the PDI, no one else has ever ridden my bike or worked on it. But I'm getting older and have downsized my shop .....

·
Retired citizen
22,897 Posts
The '99 - '2000 TC models were the MoCo's problem years ! Mostly to do with the cam bearings failing but then finding that the tensioner shoes were failed too ! The MoCo supplied the dealerships with a complete engine rebuild kit in a BOX ! That was fun ! The warranty time to do the repair was (memory) 7 hours to do a complete TC engine rebuild start to finish.
By the time I did # 6 I was getting close to 7 hours but I was hustling mofo !
I don't work that hard anymore !

·
00fxd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is an early 2000. That is why I wanted to upgrade all Timing chest bearings, and replace shoes with Cyco's. Did not want adjustable pushrods so I went the extra mile and removed rocker covers and had rocker lockers installed at the same time.. Didn't wanna screw around, just do it right.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,160 Posts
Doing your own work is the only way to go. The price of special one time use tools usually is less than having a dealer do it anyway. So what if you only use the tool once. Anybody know where I can buy a 6 carb Honda so I can use my 6 carb sync tool again? Just kidding I never had a 6 carb Honda. Only had 4 carb and I do have the 4 carb sync tool.

·
00fxd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Convince, yeh I know. But I have downsized my shop in my semi advanced age, and lost the urge - just wanna ride .... this will probably change my tune .....

·
00fxd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got The bike back today. The tech was up front with me - he screwed up. Got confused between the design of the older umbrella/breathers and the upgrade ones in the HD kit I supplied and installed the new ones upside down. Said it's no excuse. Super apologetic - got the bike in quick even tho it's the busy spring time season - gonna look after my next oil change for me. Glad I live close....
Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Regards, Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts