Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of la choppers twin peaks 12" bars . Does anyone else have these bars on there 14 sgs ? I talked to a guy at the local hd shop that had some installed and told me he used all original wires and cables . Is this true ? And do I need anything else to install them or is it just a swap out ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the 10" twin peak bars on my SG and everything was tight. Wires I had to reroute but can use them. The brake and clutch hose are tight. I would assume you would need to change those. I removed my fairing and cut the zip ties for the brake and clutch hoses and I didn't have any more slack.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 10" twin peak bars on my SG and everything was tight. Wires I had to reroute but can use them. The brake and clutch hose are tight. I would assume you would need to change those. I removed my fairing and cut the zip ties for the brake and clutch hoses and I didn't have any more slack.

Got a pic of the 10" on ur bike ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The guy I talked to said he cut the ties and rerouted the clutch and brake which was enough to make it work .

I have heard multiple guys switch to the 12" bars and only needed the wire extended kit. When I did my bars I heard some was able to and others say they couldn't make it work with stock set up. I decided on the 10" because it was a safe option and I thought about the cold weather since I wanted my hands behind the fairing. I removed everything and cut the zip ties but didn't have enough room to go higher, maybe i am the unlucky one. With my current set up its snug and I could not see going higher. The switch housing wires plug in behind the radio, I removed that and reroute the set up so I could use stock parts. I like the 10" must like them higher, I feel it would be more uncomfortable for me personally since I am only 5'11

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks good , hopefully mine will work with the original equipment . How hard was the installation ?

Removing the fair easy takes me 20-30 minutes to get to the handlebars. Remove the outer fairing, turn signals, and the bolts behind the turn signals. Also remove the ignition switch and dash cover. Push the fairing forward and remove the 4 bolts to the bars. Once you remove everything off the bars take the bars off the bike. I would recommend cutting the zip ties to the brake and clutch hoses. Move the switch housing wires that are behind the radio and reroute them to a closer location, unless your buying extended wires. Wires through the bars was not bad but took me forever because of the throttle by wire plug. I was not able to get it through the bars till I cut the black plug off its for heated grips. Once you cut the black plug, make sure to leave the green one it will pull through the bars. I used weed eater string to pull my wires through. The TBW wires are plenty long and are zip tied to the handbags so cut that and will have plenty of room. Now my last issue I ran into that would not happen again is once I ran the TBW through the bars I was unable to get the switch housing wire through and after hours prior to this point I didn't care anymore lol so I cut out a notch and made the hole in the bar bigger so I could run the right side switch housing wires outside of the bars without pinching it off. I know now I should have ran both wires at the same time but I was done after hours and hours on it. Hope this helps out

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes things a lil more clearer . I was planning on leaving the wires ran on the outside of the bars . That's how the one I looked at was . Since the bars and wires are black , it didn't look bad .

·
Registered
328 Posts
It makes things a lil more clearer . I was planning on leaving the wires ran on the outside of the bars . That's how the one I looked at was . Since the bars and wires are black , it didn't look bad .

I ran my left side in the bars and right side I ran outside. Can not see it with black bars. If I ever change bars I wi change that but no time soon

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not to steal the thread but I love the look of the 10 inch bars! Deltasig that's what I want for my 06 SG! With regards to the twin peaks do they have that natural pull back or did you install them pulled back?

thanks
Rick

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not to steal the thread but I love the look of the 10 inch bars! Deltasig that's what I want for my 06 SG! With regards to the twin peaks do they have that natural pull back or did you install them pulled back?

thanks

Rick

I had to move them 3 times till I found the sweet spot. They do have some pull back and it's easy to move them to hit the comfort zone. I have mine pushed real close to the inner fairing. ImageUploadedByMO Free1418392822.268336.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
When you get those 12's would love to hear the story and maybe a write up with pics on the install. Have been looking for new bars and really like the looks of those. Pretty much have my mind made up to go with the 12's. How tall are you TCredeur?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts