Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike sat in an unconditioned space this winter and the spokes on the front wheels now have a nice coat of rust on them. It took over two hours to clean and polish them and my fingers are sore as shit. This is the second time I have had to do this and it will be the last. This is the first set of twisted spokes I have had and I hate em. Next winter I am taking the wheel apart, powder coating them and put them back with new straight stainless spokes.

·
Try'n to behave
6,423 Posts
Please reference the problems with condensation thread. :laugh

Seriously, any spoke wheel is a PITA, but they look good so we persevere.

·
Registered
751 Posts
To help combat rust issues make sure the wheels are sparkly clean, and put a good coat of wax on them. I used a Mothers polishing ball to make the job easier.

I went through the same thing on a year old bike last year. This year - spotless

·
Registered
43,105 Posts
I have powdercoated rim & hub with stainless spokes.

Low maintenance (other than checking spoke tension). :thumb

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To help combat rust issues make sure the wheels are sparkly clean, and put a good coat of wax on them. I used a Mothers polishing ball to make the job easier.

I went through the same thing on a year old bike last year. This year - spotless
I thought about wax. I will probably try that this weekend. Wonder if there may be a spray wax that would work?

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have powdercoated rim & hub with stainless spokes.

Low maintenance (other than checking spoke tension). :thumb
If I replace the spokes this winter I thought about powder coating my wheels, hubs and a new set of spokes. My bike is flat OD green so I was thinking of some combination of black and orange on the wheels.

·
Registered
43,105 Posts
If I replace the spokes this winter I thought about powder coating my wheels, hubs and a new set of spokes. My bike is flat OD green so I was thinking of some combination of black and orange on the wheels.
I almost pinstriped an orange stripe on my front rim, as a nod to the Shovelhead Sturgis bikes.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I almost pinstriped an orange stripe on my front rim, as a nod to the Shovelhead Sturgis bikes.
I think the OD green, harley racing orange, and black combination gives a retro look. Black rim with an orange pinstripe, orange spokes and black hub is what I was thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.