Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this build back in 2016. My brother had been eye balling the basket case for some years but never could get it bought. Everything was there to put it together. Someone else bought it and had it for a couple of years, then started selling off the parts as he was needing the money. My brother heard of this and went and got what was left of it. Wasn't much, just the frame, engine, trans and wheels. He gave what was left to me and said he would help me put it together. It's been a slow project and progresses as we have the money. I will post pics and descriptions from the beginning as I have time.
My hope is to pretty much have it ready to tear back down and paint it this spring. But i had hoped that last year too and did not come to fruition.
It is a 1974, I think, shovel head that has been overhauled. It has a stroker kit and high compression pistons in it with Andrews cams, can't remember the number. The 4 speed was rebuilt. I tossed around the idea of weather or not to put a starter on it and had even bought an inner primary for it. I have decided to put an open belt primary drive on it with no starter. Kick only.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I started this project I had envisioned a long springer front end. Like the ones Sugar Bear makes. Well I found out I couldn't afford that so I just sort of started building this thing by trial and error. I knew I wanted to rake it out a little. I bought a 12" over fork style front end thinking that was the ticket. We raked it out to where we though it should be and put it on. Well I did not like the look at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made a jig to keep it all square and pulled it out to where we though we wanted to be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it all welded put and put the 12" over front end on and did not like it at all. The amount of rake we would have to do to level the frame would have been way too much, without stretching it and extending it as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I started reading a lot about the geometry of the front end. Learned quite a bit about rake and trail and how it all works with how the bike handles and such. I decided to get a 2" over fork front end and put on it. And according to my calculations that would set the frame pretty level with our amount of rake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A guy I work with had a set of fenders off of a boat trailer from the 50's he gave me. I really like the shape of them and cut them up and welded them together to make my rear fender. I found some old metal fence pieces for the support struts and got it mounted up. He made the tail light fixture on top for me and I really like how it turned out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Close up of the struts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I knew I did not want a 2 piece tank with the dash on it. I wanted a clean look, no guages. I found this one, don't remember where but it sure seems to flow with the bike. The rear fender in this pic was a trial and failer, did not like how flat is was and did not flow well with the tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another shot of the tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front fender I bought and is a Jesse James. I just like how it wraps around the back side so much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I initially was going to go with a chain primary and electric/kick start but have decided to go with an open belt primary and kick only, cause **** starters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A close up of the tail light fixture on the fender.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going with a round oil tank, cause it's bad ass. Fuckin brother in the background saying high to ya'll.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The seat has been a thorn in my side. I wanted something low and cool looking. I started with a template and went from there. Read some to learn about making one and attempted to make one. I think it turned out quite nice and looks good. It is however not comfortable in any since of the word.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pan made and drilled for rivets.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Foam glued on and shaped a little.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Batting on and looking good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
leather cut and stitched together. I forgot to take any pics of cutting the pattern out but you get the idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
And formed, fitted and riveted to the pan. While I do like the look of it on the bike I'm pretty sure the first bump I hit with this rigid bitch is going to paralyze me. I have decided to go with a sprung sole seat. I have one mocked up and am waiting on the spring perches and hinge to get it mounted. It will be way more comfy, just not as cool. I'm getting too old for cool I guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are 12" bars on 4" risers, seem to be a good fit for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts