Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost lost it today trying a u turn on a steep hill in about 16' of space. Any techniques?

:bike-038:

·
Just Ride
3,204 Posts
Practice

·
99%er
42 Posts
Most advanced riding courses and DVD's cover this.

Definitely takes practice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lots of rear brake. Lots.

I don't think it is stressed enough just how much easier it makes slow speed maneuvers when you are in the friction zone and have a solid right foot in it. The bike will practically stay upright in place.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Had to do one about 2 hours ago. Rear brake, look where you want to go, go as wide as you can, stay moving. You'd be suprised how much harder is going slow, vs keeping a smooth speed. Much harder loaded down touring. Wife thankfully trusts me and doesn't get nervous.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Another thing that can help in tight maneuvering is slide your ass as far forward as you can. If you watch the police motorcycle competition you will notice the officer is so far forward he's practically sitting all the way on the gas tank. That makes the bike a lot more responsive in tight turns.

·
Banned
1 Posts
2 ways to do it-
1. u ve enough space so the arc of ur bike turning can be accomodated in that space, in which case u can do it in one go. The arc can be made tighter if u go slower, the radius of the arc will be more if u go fast. Thumbrule- tighter the turn slower u go.
Once u start turning lean ur bike towards upslope, its v easy because reaching up is easier, keep leanin up keep turning, do it twice u get th hang, if the incline is steep whatever u do do not lean to the lower side of the road.

2. if the space is tight and u cant turn at one go, go forward to the middle of the road, then control th brakes while you go back/down and keep turning the bike so u reach one side of the road, if u have turned it u will be facing the opposite side by now then jus turn th handle bars and go down ...for going up/ taking a U turn up jus reverse..

I wish i cud post a video doing it.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
2 ways to do it-
1. u ve enough space so the arc of ur bike turning can be accomodated in that space, in which case u can do it in one go. The arc can be made tighter if u go slower, the radius of the arc will be more if u go fast. Thumbrule- tighter the turn slower u go.
Once u start turning lean ur bike towards upslope, its v easy because reaching up is easier, keep leanin up keep turning, do it twice u get th hang, if the incline is steep whatever u do do not lean to the lower side of the road.

2. if the space is tight and u cant turn at one go, go forward to the middle of the road, then control th brakes while you go back/down and keep turning the bike so u reach one side of the road, if u have turned it u will be facing the opposite side by now then jus turn th handle bars and go down ...for going up/ taking a U turn up jus reverse..

I wish i cud post a video doing it.

Phone shorthand sux! If you have time to post, you have time to type the word.:fitz

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
All the above advice is spot on. Personally, unless it was an absolute necessity, I would find an easier place to turn around. :nod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts