Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go. Yes I know you get what you pay for. And yes you told me so. But I don’t have baker money and my stock five speed just was not cutting it on log trips. I purchased a Ultima six speed and had it installed. Worked great very happy with it. It was a little loud in sixth gear sometimes difficult to get into neutral as advertised. I was satisfied with the purchase for the price. After about 2000 miles I started having shifting issues. When down shifting from third to second it would slip out of gear. I have to double shift to down shift to second. This can be dangerous at highway speeds going into a turn. I attempted to fix the problem by adjusting the shifter pawl . But I seem to be making the problem worse. Question is this problem Ultima trans problem? Can I bring it to a Harley mechanic to have it adjusted. Any recommendations for a mechanic in North Jersey who could straighten this out for me with out harassing me about it not being a Baker??

·
Super Moderator
12,740 Posts
I gave mine away after. 6th died and first finally quit. Went back to the OEM 5 speed. My EVO was lugging in 6th anyways.

·
Retired citizen
23,366 Posts
If the Ultima trans was purchased new you have instructions. Using the instructions adjust the 3rd gear neutral position. That centers the shift drum linkage and may resolve your problem. The H-D 5spd adjustment is similar.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok here we go. Yes I know you get what you pay for. And yes you told me so. But I don’t have baker money and my stock five speed just was not cutting it on log trips. I purchased a Ultima six speed and had it installed. Worked great very happy with it. It was a little loud in sixth gear sometimes difficult to get into neutral as advertised. I was satisfied with the purchase for the price. After about 2000 miles I started having shifting issues. When down shifting from third to second it would slip out of gear. I have to double shift to down shift to second. This can be dangerous at highway speeds going into a turn. I attempted to fix the problem by adjusting the shifter pawl . But I seem to be making the problem worse. Question is this problem Ultima trans problem? Can I bring it to a Harley mechanic to have it adjusted. Any recommendations for a mechanic in North Jersey who could straighten this out for me with out harassing me about it not being a Baker??
Try this : http://www.ultimaproducts.com/6spdLSDmanual.pdf

:coffee:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ultima 6 speed builders kit

I was too ashamed to tell the trouth two years ago but now I am just jinished with the trans.

Whatever you do don’t purchase one of these pieces of junk! I purchase the ULTIMA 6 SPEED BUILDERS KIT three years ago and had it installed by a Harley Mechanic. Not a shade tree mechanic as the Ultima reseller will claim. I never ,never, never could find neutral once the bike was running. Every year when I changed the oil I found pieces of metal on the drain plug magnet. Last year the shifter spring broke and was replaces with a JIMS replacement spring. The tranny had to be completely removed and reinstalled to replace the spring Five hundred in labor. The issues finding neutral continue. Just drained the oil today and guess what more metal on the drain plug magnet. I have had the clutch adjusted new clutch plates installed. Transmission checked and rechecked. I don’t even know if it worth putting Redline oil in it this year. This is fair warning not someone from anther vender DON’T Do IT!

·
Registered
22,959 Posts
It is easier to change the final drive ratio, I ditched my belt and pulley for a chain and sprocket on my 89 FL ,I get the same engine rpm and road speed in 5th as I do on my 09 FL in 6th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts