Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my transport co. Hasn't come through so I have to go get my bike out of state, so my question is do you think that 014 GMC 1500 pickup w/ a short box will handle it? It will just fit by a few " I'm just worried about the weight. Input??

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Is it a 5.5 foot or 6.5 foot short box? The 5.5 will fit fine, I would just put the bike on the kickstand and at an angle so less weight is on the very end of the tailgate. other than that you will not have any issues just strap it down really well

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would just rent a u haul the ones with ramp and wheel chock they don't cost much and its easier getting bike in and out and strapping down just my opion

·
Poser Member # 99
18,144 Posts
I'd rent a U-Haul and buy a wheel chock for 40 bucks . That way you could load up a few more things to take with you . Besides how you going to get it out of the truck when you get there

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big John, I've got ramps on both ends of the trip. I've got a real nice open trailer w/ a salt shield but I'm worried about road rash & especially thrift on the few layovers at night. That's why I was thinking pickup truck.

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Me personally would ride it. Fly back and get the truck.

·
luv the low country
20,328 Posts
Big John, I've got ramps on both ends of the trip. I've got a real nice open trailer w/ a salt shield but I'm worried about road rash & especially thrift on the few layovers at night. That's why I was thinking pickup truck.
I would still go the rental route. With the bike locked, alarm set, ratcheting tie downs in place, it would be safe. For added insurance you could also chain it to the trailer. Road rash, maybe. I rented a U-Haul trailer and pulled it behind a truck from Connecticut to South Carolina with zero problems to the bike. JMO, but getting a big scoot on and off a pickup truck is a higher risk for dumping and damaging the bike.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Several of my friends haul their bikes in Pickups. A few tips from them; replace any cables that hold the gate level with steel straps (if the bike sits on the gate), use a 12" square of wood under the rear tire if it sits on the gate, if you can't find a loading dock behind the shopping center to use, even a small ditch for the rear wheels of the pickup will get the tailgate within 8" of the ground, then a short board.
One man should not try to load a Harley in a pickup. You need one person dedicated to keeping the bike vertical.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Two things to think about : First off, why not fly out and ride back ? Is it weather you are worried about ?

Second thing is : It takes 9'6" for fender to fender clearance , and 42" for side to side clearance .

With all that said , I've hauled several FLHTCUI's for friends in my pickup. Put a full sheet of 3/4 plywood in bed before you load bike .
Take a 2x4 stud and cut it in half, screw it to the head end of plywood with 3" deck screws spaced 8" on center . Eyebolts on both outboard ends of studs . Screw two 2x4 studs on each long side of plywood, same 3" screws , same spacing . Two more eyebolts on each side .

With the weight of the bike on plywood, and bike strapped down to it tight, you only need one strap to pickup bed on either side to keep bike in the bed .

I have a funny, well it was funny to me , story about one bike that did slide out of pickup bed once . Plywood...bedliner...rain ... tight corner at too fast a speed .
:eek Did you know that if you get water under plywood sitting on a bedliner , it'll slide real easy . ??? :eek

Always use one strap on each side to pickup bed, that's what the bed hooks are for . :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

:biker:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've got a real nice open trailer w/ a salt shield but I'm worried about road rash & especially thrift on the few layovers at night. That's why I was thinking pickup truck.
If you've got a trailer, why not go this route? The bike will probably be a lot more secure in the trailer than it would be in the back of the truck.

Also as has been noted above, loading and unloading would be a lot easier.

There are way to reduce the possibilities of road rash, and theft can be prevented as well. A decent cable and a pad lock will work wonders. If you encounter a determined thief, they'll still get it out of the back of the truck.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
My 2001 1500 extended cab is pretty close to yours w short bed. Carries my FXSTC with no problems. Rear wheel sits right on end of the bed and where the tailgate starts. Basically no real weight on tailgate. Have a 2" drop in the rear lets the entire truck damn sit near level empty. Still set level w bike in there. Recommend not hauling long distances on kick stand. The bouncing will ruin the bronze bushings. Have a folding ramp that's wide enough and long enough drive bike on and roll back off with no problems, one man job. As the GF tries giving hand signals.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Just a not there Billy, your 2001 truck probably has a 6.5' box. The newer 1/2 pick-ups come with a 5.5' box. And the Ultra is probably longer overall than your Softail. So he's more than likely gonna have his rear tire sitting square on the tailgate. I would recommend the full length plywood in the box and over the tailgate, adn / or changing the cable to straps.

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Still say fly and ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts