Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually remove my lowers 95% of the time, but newer bikes have improved set ups that flow more air. Anyone running fulltime with lowers mounted. Too hot here in Georgia on my 2000 and 2003 Ultra. I've ordered a 2009 model due in 60 to 90 days, is the air flow that much improve for both the engine and rider comfort?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Longo... May not be enough '09 owners here to see or respond to this. Hopefully they will. Will interesting to see if the air flow is improved for engine cooling, yet the rider doesn't experience a more breezy ride. The latter should be a rider choice.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm running mine full time - and I'm in So Cal. We'll see what its like when it get hot (summer) although it's been pretty warm here this past week - 80's. However, since this is my first bagger (with lowers) don't have anything to compare it to. As you know, the 09's have a sliding panel on the inside of each lower you can 'close' or 'open' to control the airflow. How much difference it actually makes, at this juncture, not sure.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
I'm running lowers on my V-Rod - with vents. Trick is to open them when its above 70F. They were on last summer when it was 100F. I like the fact that my pant legs don't ride up with the forward controls - can't wear jeans to work, and dress pants wouldn't stay down...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the 2000 and 2003 bikes I remember it was be too hot to run them, also remember when my buddy purchased his 2004 the dealer refused to install the lowers advising only to be used in mild or cold weather. As MikeYork5 explained the new bikes have a slider for improving air flow. Perhaps the 2009 owners manual addresses this,can you check with your manual MikeYork5.

Dinero No Mas, on your '07 with lowers, you're not too hot when riding in hot weather?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
With the sliders open, you get plenty of breeze on your legs and I have a pair of the moveable Dragon Wings on the upper fairing to divert airflow.

I also put a 6 inch windshield on in the summer.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The owners manual has exactly one sentence on the lower vents something like "open or close them to adjsut air flow". But then, what else is there to say - thats pretty much it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MikeYork5, thanks for reviewing your manual for us, that tells me that the flow is enough for proper engine cooling. I'll just see if it's enough to keep me comfortable when riding in hot weather. Like I mentioned earlier, couldn't run'em on the older bikes here in Ga. during hot weather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Minnesota and leave the lowers on all the time. Even when its hot with the lowers opening up (2005 on) is sure helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use mine full time in Houston, no issues.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I think the lowers actually funnel a bit more air over the cylinders too. RG lowers don't come with the vents so I put a set of the Hoppie ones on mine, they don't seem to make a lot of difference in the heat but you know they are open when it's cold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've riden both ways. I like the looks of the lowers so I left them on for most of the summer. I did finally take them off, more out of curiosity then out of concern of over heating. Taking the lowers off to me changed the ride dramatically. There was more clean air and I was generally cooler so as a result I will take them off in the dead of the summer 90-110 degrees and leave them on the rest of the time. FYI, 08 ultra, sliding vents and 8 inch recurve. My two cents

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to take them off but I bought a howard air horn for my ultra and for some reason it says to leave them on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick release for lowers

Where did you find these?

·
Registered
74 Posts
07 Sliders

I use the sliders and there's no problem. However, as you know, slow moving bumper to bumper traffic (avoid at all costs) creates a problem.. Stay out of parades in the summer as well.:thumb

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
On my 08 Ultra, I have run with the lowers on full time. Obviously its been cold, so I leave the "flaps" closed to keep the heat from the engine to warm my legs. But on a couple of warm days, I opened them up. Dont know how they will fare when the temps get really high but gonna try to run with them on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts