Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio works great. However, CB experiencing an intermittent cut out on transmit and receive. Seems to occur only when handlebars turn from center position....at center, no issue. Gotta' be a loose wire somewhere. In it goes to have a tech find the wire and do a 20K mile service since it is in anyhow.

Call from dealer: "we have spent an hour on it and cannot find the issue. We think another hour should solve it..., need to take the fairing off....will you authorize another $95?"
Me: "Sure...why not? Keep plugging."

Call from dealer: "checked everything, no sense charging you for another hour....can't find it, so we are thinking you need a new radio......$1.250, or $1,500, installed. Meanwhile, we will charge you only for the original hour."
"Ugh. No. will come get it. But, many thanks for cutting me some slack on the shop charge" (cool dealer!).

Turns out dealer worked on the issue, off the clock, for another week to try to locate. No good. Can duplicate but cannot find.

Ideas?

Thx!
Marc

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,011 Posts
Assuming the dealer did what he said his crew was doing, this is one of those issues that needs the unit on the bench. I've spent a good part of my life chasing electrical rabbits like this, and this particular type unit is a PIA. You might try calling Harmon Kardin and seeing if they have a tech available that is willing to discuss this. I have had good luck in that with them the few times I have had a problem with one of these radios.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming the dealer did what he said his crew was doing, this is one of those issues that needs the unit on the bench. I've spent a good part of my life chasing electrical rabbits like this, and this particular type unit is a PIA. You might try calling Harmon Kardin and seeing if they have a tech available that is willing to discuss this. I have had good luck in that with them the few times I have had a problem with one of these radios.
Great idea, kd5 (amateur radio call sign?)......will see if I can drag up a contact in the H-K organization that might be willing to review this....maybe through H-D. Will let you know how I do.....thanks for taking the time to respond, and with such a potentially valuable suggestion!
Ride safe....
Marc

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thorny Radio/CB Puzzler....

Radio works great. However, CB experiencing an intermittent, several second cut-out on transmit and receive. Seems to occur only when handlebars turn from center position....at center, no issue. Gotta' be a loose wire somewhere. So, in the dealer's shop it goes to have a tech find the wire and do a 20K mile service since it is in anyhow.

Call from dealer: "we have spent an hour on it and cannot find the issue. We think another hour should solve it..., need to take the fairing off....will you authorize another $95?"
Me: "Sure...why not? Keep plugging."

Call from dealer: "checked everything, no sense charging you for another hour....can't find it, so we are thinking you need a new radio......$1.250, or $1,500, installed. Meanwhile, we will charge you only for the original hour."
Me: "Ugh. No. will come get it. But, many thanks for cutting me some slack on the shop charge" (cool dealer!).

Turns out dealer worked on the issue, off the clock, for another week to try to locate. No good. Can duplicate but cannot find.

Ideas? Or, where might one find a used/re-man radio for an '07 Ultra? :-(
Thx!
Marc

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
The first thing that came to mind was the squelch adjustment but if turning the forks causes it to happen that kinda rules out the squelch.
It seems odd the dealer couldn't track the problem down with the shop Digital Tech computer !
The second thing that comes to mind is the antenna cable. Disconnect the cable at both ends and test resistance from end to end while pulling and twisting the cable. The thin center conductor in the cable can break with no external signs that it's broken. The broken ends can touch until the cable is moved then the connection is lost.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,011 Posts
Schmidty, squelch was my first thought, too. I based my thoughts on the assumption (bad thing to do, I know) that the service guys did everything they were supposed to including checking forward to reflected power on the coax which would help indicate a bad coax or connection there. My next thought would be, considering the positioning of the bars as part of the symptoms, that something in the external PTT wiring might be compromised. Is there such a thing as a "hard reset" on these radios?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Cable to the head set OK? Base plug for headset on bike OK. Antenna grounded solid? HK radio updated to current version?

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
Custom grips ? Unbolt the clutch lever perch and check for a pinched wire harness. That would affect the PTT.
The H-D website has a H-K update download you burn to a CD then upload into your radio. That would bring your radio up to current configuration and install any fixes available.
Sorry, no link to that but it has been posted here before ... maybe someone else here has the link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts