Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 Ultra classic and I find the seat to be very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes to and hour of riding. I am 6'1 300lbs.

The seat starts to feel like it squeezing me between back of the seat and the gas tank putting pressure on front lower area under the boyz.

I was looking into a mustang seat but hate to drop 500 and not make any improvement. I believe I need to be raised up in the butt of the seat. Also looking at the zeppelin but afraid of how long the bladder and air pump will last vs the price.

·
On Probation
2,204 Posts
Dealers now have a program where you can demo seats.
Check it out.

·
Old guy
149 Posts
I have a '12 limited and put the Mustang Regal on it. It turned my one hour rides into eight hour rides. HUGE difference... And oh yeah... I am 6'4" 365lbs

·
Registered
867 Posts
Russ, have you tried a 08 up street glide seat

Borrow a friends S.G. seat for a long cruise . I,m a long time Harley Ultra rider an have found these for $ 75-100 new . The S.G. seat have more private area room for comfort . They look good with the tour pack off also . My Thoughts . Bud

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a stock streetglide seat if its something your interested in. It is very comfortable for me,just got another one with different material that I picked up. Pm me.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I got lucky and found a shop that had a Sweet mustang seat that he sold me for 150 bucks. So much more comfortable but still can't ride more than 500 miles before my ass and legs feel so sore that I wanna kick the bike into a ditch and call a taxi.
The Seat Demo sounds great, but I want to test more than just Harley Seats which are the lowest end seats so you'll pay for a 1000 dollar seat later.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY A F'ING BIKE SEAT COSTS MORE THAN A LAZY BOY OR A FRICKEN COUCH?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY A F'ING BIKE SEAT COSTS MORE THAN A LAZY BOY OR A FRICKEN COUCH?
Its called luxury pricing. Do you need a bike? No. Do you need a car? More then a bike. Do you need a couch. Again more so then a bike. Think of this. I can put new rotors and pads on the front of my truck for under $100. Just to put pads on my bike or atv its over $100.

Battery for truck is $85 battery for bike, or atv over $100.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Ultra classic and I find the seat to be very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes to and hour of riding. I am 6'1 300lbs.

The seat starts to feel like it squeezing me between back of the seat and the gas tank putting pressure on front lower area under the boyz.

I was looking into a mustang seat but hate to drop 500 and not make any improvement. I believe I need to be raised up in the butt of the seat. Also looking at the zeppelin but afraid of how long the bladder and air pump will last vs the price.
Dad had a goldwing and had problems with his hip after about an hr. Try getting some harder foam and cut it to fit on your seat but in a moon shape, leave a cut out in front for the boys. He did that and he foind about 1 1/2 inches helped him alot. Then he had a custom seat made for about $650. He was 6'1 and 300 im about 450 and 6'2 with a stocker o had no problems til around 2-3 hrs straight

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
I will say, I found a Road Zeppelin on Craigslist and ended up trading an old generator set that was taking up space in my garage for it. It was over 7 years old and the compressor and air bladders still work. There is also a door to access the compressor if you need to do maintenance on it. I just picked the seat back up from a nearby upholstery shop, this is the guy who did all of the interiors for Panoz cars and it now looks like a brand new seat. I only paid $300 for the upholstery work, so I feel like I paid only $300 for a new Zeppelin. Oh, by the way, I haven't gotten uncomfortable on it yet.

E-Bay and Craigslist is the way to go.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I highly recommend meancitycycles.com. They will keep the stock look and you can discuss with them what you want and they will custom fit the seat to you. They take all the old foam out and use memory foam. Got my seat done for about $275 shipped to them and shipped back. Great to work with, plus my seat looks great.

·
Been There Done That
228 Posts
And I would very highly (I've used thrm twice) Russell Seats out of Shasta Cal. They take your old seat, take pictures of you on your bike, and many measurements, and re-manufacture your old seat into a great fitting new one. About 400 bucks depending if you want heated or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the great feedback. I think im going to give the mustang regal a try. Let you know how it turns out.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
The cheaper fix is getting an Airhawk air cushion. Its inflatable and is very adjustable. I'm about 6ft and 280lbs and my Ultra seat will get my back and hips hurting after about an hour. In the summer, my ass basically melts (you all are welcome for that image). The Airhawk is great as cushion but also makes it a cooler ride in the summer. They run about $80-$120 at J&P Cycles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had my seat reworked by Mean City Cycles. I love it. They get your measurements and weight plus do any mods you want done for a very reasonable price. Memory foam seems too firm at first but after all day in the saddle no butt burn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I would also like to know which Regal you picked. I see a wide and super touring version. The wide is 14" and the super is 19". Trying to decide if the widest is the best for my big ass.

·
Old guy
149 Posts
I went with the super and also got the back rest (part number 79558). I've ridden without the backrest and can honestly say (like most folks here that have them) the backrest makes a huge difference as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts