Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding Harleys for decades, and finally decided to go all the way in comfort and extras and get the 2019 CVO Limited. I got it in March and in my first couple of shakedown rides noticed that the CB radio sucked. I literally couldn't talk to people/hear people 50 feet away. I took it back the dealer, they duplicated the issue, put in a new CB and it still was the same. They spoke with tech support and were told that is the norm for the CB. They tried to give me some story about the bike having a small footprint so it couldn't transmit/receive from very far. The did not, however, have an answer as to why I can buy a walkie-talkie for ten bucks at a toy store and can talk to someone two miles away.
I put a few miles on the bike, not all of them in good weather and discovered that whenever you ride in the rain the radio will mute itself and the screen will change to one of the information screens. Local dealer was able to duplicate the problem. Tech services wanted a video of what it was doing, so a couple were sent to them of the radio doing this. The answer? The radio is operating normally, if a raindrop hits the touchscreen that is going to happen.
I am so pissed that I dropped almost $50K on a bike and in 14K miles I am being told to accept crappy performance on the things that are supposed to set the CVO above the other bikes. I called customer support and the impression I get from them is they are happy to have my money, and just to live with their top-of-the-line model having crappy modules. I feel like I've been transported back to the days of AMF Harleys.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That’s H-D’s customer service and workmanship for ya.
And they wonder why their sales are down and stocks are in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Senior Flatulant
863 Posts
Aaron,

CB sounds like it may have a bad antenna or connection.

Know anyone still involved with CB's?

Truck stops used to have CB shops attached or, they knew of a good local shop.

Get it checked out as keying the mike could burn out the transmit circuits.

Then, I suppose you could always present the MOCO with the bill.

Raindrops on the touch screen - Can you turn down the sensitivity like on your cell phone?

There ARE times when I wish I still had my old Knucklehead .... or the Pan or, the Shovel.

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
I've heard of bad service, and experienced some of it myself in the past, but your problems coupled with the dealer and/or the MoCo's attitude takes the cake. You have almost singlehandedly talked me into buying something other than a Harley whenever I get ready for another bike.

Maybe we will get lucky and somebody who gives a chit may buy out HD.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I understand your frustrations Aaron. To be so let down with what was supposed to be the cherry on life's sundae is terrible.
The only advice I have that MAY help is to be as calm and pleasant as possible when dealing with the people that might be able to help. They deal with lots of pissed off people daily, and a calm voice just might get their attention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trade it in for something else. Buddy of mine has a CVO and it's been in the shop 8 times in less than 3000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can almost guarantee you have an antenna issue. Remove the tour-pak liner and check the wire connection/condition. Then check behind the seat where the wires are bundled to insure the wire from the antenna is fully seated in the coax.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,441 Posts
Is the antenna on the tour pack, or is it inside the fairing? I have a friend with a 2015 SG, that put the detachable tour pack kit on his, and relocated the antenna to inside the fairing. He noticed a big difference in his radio reception. Says that when he gets 10 miles out of Houston his radio station fades out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I understand your frustrations Aaron. To be so let down with what was supposed to be the cherry on life's sundae is terrible.
The only advice I have that MAY help is to be as calm and pleasant as possible when dealing with the people that might be able to help. They deal with lots of pissed off people daily, and a calm voice just might get their attention.
As someone who's worked in/around the service industry in one form or another their whole life, I cannot stress how useful this is. They get it. They know you're pissed. Coming in with both barrels blazing (while probably warranted), doesn't help anyone. Makes them apprehensive, and makes you not think straight as well.

People just don't understand the value/power that a simple "please/thank you and sir/ma'am" will go.

I'd be spitting WMDs mad if I spent 50-large on a scoot that was having issues, but as the old saw goes "ya catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

This isn't directed at the OP, just my 2 CIs from working "in the trenches."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not the 1st time I've heard same problem.
Interestingly, other bike was a CVO as well.
That whole CVO line is a loser for 2020.
Just look at them gaudy useless models.
That CVO trike is a joke. $50,000.00?

On my newer models, I've stuck as close to basic as possible
and have had good luck. My opinion is if you want "extras"
add em yourself and do the job RIGHT.
Evidently the moco CAN'T

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Not the 1st time I've heard same problem.
Interestingly, other bike was a CVO as well.
That whole CVO line is a loser for 2020.
Just look at them gaudy useless models.
That CVO trike is a joke. $50,000.00?

On my newer models, I've stuck as close to basic as possible
and have had good luck. My opinion is if you want "extras"
add em yourself and do the job RIGHT.
Evidently the moco CAN'T
You seem to be especially bitter. I can't afford a new CVO either, but I don't concern myself over those that can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You seem to be especially bitter. I can't afford a new CVO either, but I don't concern myself over those that can.
No I'm not bitter and I could afford a CVO.
IMO just sayin who'd WANT one?
Not that 2020 lineup, anyway.
They're lame, that's MO
Want one go buy one

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Want one go buy one
Thanks, but I don't need your permission. I'm not in the market for a trike of any kind at the present time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts