1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
Accelerometer, I agree. Thought maybe mercury switch but that would probably be too touchy. I always hit the brakes even when I engine brake, just enough for the lights to come on anyhow.

Not as gay as those reflective vest we had to wear as per military regulations. Neat tech, I will keep an eye for it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I guess so. I don't see it as some grand break though in safety technology though.

I have learned over the years to always use my brake lights even if I am not using my brakes. That is, if I let off and/or gear down with someone following, I will touch the front lever enough to activate the light even if I am not applying enough pressure to actually help slow the bike.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Another product for idiots to ride safe...

I may be blunt but I learned and taught.myself to be vigilant and anytime my bike is not maintaining or accelerating, my finger is on the front brake lever just enough to light the brake lights. Even if im not actively slowing with brakes, just engine brakeing, i still have the lever pulled enough to light up the tails.... just the way i was taught. None the less good idea, ive seen a module that either had an accelerameter or it tied into the speedo of the bike, and if you started to slow down it would illuminate the brake lights, i thonk ot was a little more bike specific then this tho..

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I'd be more interested in getting more light in the back, been thinking about changing bulbs in the turn signals to red and getting that module to flash em all when braking. Like others have said, I've gotten use to watching my back and flashing the brakes even when engine braking.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'd be more interested in getting more light in the back, been thinking about changing bulbs in the turn signals to red and getting that module to flash em all when braking. Like others have said, I've gotten use to watching my back and flashing the brakes even when engine braking.
Don't need to change the bulbs, just the covers. I think the Run/stop/turn module is a must-do for H-Ds. I did it along with LED lighting and it made an amazing difference in visibility.

I was in the cage one day following an FLSTC with stock lighting. It was clear, sunny day, and I could hardly see the his brake light at all. I did the R/S/T and LED conversion as soon as I could scrape together the coinage.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Don't need to change the bulbs, just the covers. I think the Run/stop/turn module is a must-do for H-Ds. I did it along with LED lighting and it made an amazing difference in visibility.

I was in the cage one day following an FLSTC with stock lighting. It was clear, sunny day, and I could hardly see the his brake light at all. I did the R/S/T and LED conversion as soon as I could scrape together the coinage.
I've got the smoked lenses with yellow bulbs.. either way thats an easy thing to do... was it fairly easy to wire up?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've got the smoked lenses with yellow bulbs.. either way thats an easy thing to do... was it fairly easy to wire up?
If you use the Badlands module, it couldn't be easier. Their "Illuminator" has the Run/Stop/Turn conversion built into it, and it also serves as a load balancer if you decide to use LEDs later. (it works with conventional lighting as well) It's a little pricey, but if you ever decide to go with LEDs, you are already most of the way home.

All you do is remove the seat, un-plug the coupling of the main wiring harness and the sub-harness feeding the rear lighting. Their module has the matched plugs and simply goes between the two pieces. Five minutes and you are done.

I have had excellent luck with everyting from Badlands, but I would have to think that there are others from other makers that are quite similar.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
If you use the Badlands module, it couldn't be easier. Their "Illuminator" has the Run/Stop/Turn conversion built into it, and it also serves as a load balancer if you decide to use LEDs later. (it works with conventional lighting as well) It's a little pricey, but if you ever decide to go with LEDs, you are already most of the way home.

All you do is remove the seat, un-plug the coupling of the main wiring harness and the sub-harness feeding the rear lighting. Their module has the matched plugs and simply goes between the two pieces. Five minutes and you are done.

I have had excellent luck with everyting from Badlands, but I would have to think that there are others from other makers that are quite similar.
I'll be adding that to the list, safety comes before price.. and if its plug and play.. sold. :thanks

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
...aims to reduce rear-end collisions: new type of safety light for motorcycles that illuminates when the bike slows down, regardless of whether or not the rider is using the brakes.

Any takers? I'm thinking if the accelerometer was hard-wired into your break lights they'd get more interest. I don't want LEDs on my bike. Still a cool idea IMO.
I'm all for safety and visibility. If that works, great ! Visibility is key.

"led's" make motorcycles VERY visible. I'm curious as to why you don't like'em/want'em ?

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know... I guess it's a look thing. Especially on a Harley. Something I could get over, especially if it's going to potentially save me from an accident.

I think the real answer here is to connect an air horn to the accelerometer. Every time you decelerate it'll blast a 120 dB "signal" to kindly announce you're slowing down. I bet the neighbors would LOVE it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

Custom Dynamics LED turn signal lights are so much better than stock from a visibility perspective. Easy to install and use their break light modulator they sell as well. Nice people to work with at Custom Dynamics.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I'll be adding that to the list, safety comes before price.. and if its plug and play.. sold. :thanks
I have the H.D. run stop turn module. It comes with red lenses and is totally plug and play. My friend has the Bright Ass Taillight and it is really an attention getter. Pricey, but you can program several different types of flashes into it.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I have the Bright Ass Light on my bike. Simple plug and play installation. I want the people behind me to snap out of their daydreaming and notice me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Damn so many comments to make. First thing is this should help be seen. The transit busses here have flashing yellow lights that come on when they "coast". No gas pedal, no brake pedal. Lets you know there going to do something. The brightass tail light should have a light up "finger" to flip. Someone mentioned horns. I had Howard rds horns on my FLHT. Money well spent. Should have a warning label about giving little old ladies a heart attack! Last comment... If I was driving behind ya, I would probably run ya over!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts