Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like there are more and more cheaply made helmets showing up. This article shows the latest of them and how easily they break.

There is no substitute for a well made motorcycle helmet. What are the brands that you will stick by to protect your noggin?

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
Loved the video, but watch it on mute.
Will someone shut that kid up!
Sorry, grumpy Grand pa syndrome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bell
Shoei
Arai
Simpson

Between them it comes down to fit and features. I really like to buy American but Bell and Simpson make it very hard. They have an almost non existent brick and mortar dealer network and I refuse to buy a helmet I cannot try on. My last several helmets have all been imports for that reason. Lots of Arai and Shoei dealers and I can spend half an hour trying on different helmets to see which will work for me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Companies who have outsourced to China are experiencing an unintended consequence in that, having supplied the prototype, they wind up in competition with themselves. The Chinese are rabid "copiers" and pragmatic to a fault. I know from personal experience, (I've worked in China this past 3 years), that diving helmets, name brand industrial parts & fittings, designer items like watches, handbags and eyeglasses are relentlessly reproduced in China. The Chinese business model is to produce what is already popular at a fraction of the cost, and quality of the original product. Their skill in this is exceptional. Rolex copies are that true in detail that they include the crystal hologram at 6 O'clock,, $80 bux !!

The point of my sermon ? If you run across a new (Shoei, Arai, Bell, Shark, Nolan, Harley Davidson, etc., etc.) from other than an authorized dealer and at a fraction of what they normally cost, think twice. In all probability you're looking at $5.00 worth of Chinese bondex in a fancy gel coat skin. A bogus Rolex won't kill you but your brand new $75.00 Shoei might.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a bell Vortex, Snell certified. I don't race or go to the track but having that extra protection that comes with the Snell certification really puts not only my wife at ease but myself as well. If you can't drop the $500 plus for a shoei or Arai, Bell makes some great helmets for a great deal.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Been wearing this Z1R Nomad Half Helmet for years.
https://www.denniskirk.com/z1r/nomad-helmet.p3301931.prd/3301931XXL.sku

I had a wreck that totalled my '95 FLHT a few years ago. My head bounced off the pavement. This helmet had a good ding, but otherwise I was fine. I went out and bought another one just like it. I would buy this one, I need XL and it's an XXL.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Anyone know who makes the Harley helmets? The one I have appears to be made in China. It seems like a good helmet, but it is conspicuous by it's absence in all the answers. Is that because of the cost? Or quality? Or both? I have the convertible.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
All the Harley Helmets I have seen are HJC or Shoei.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Not sure if this was mentioned in one of the links or not, but you can look for two things on a helmet to be assured of it's quality. "DOT" and/or "Snell". If it has the DOT stamp the company has met the standards once and is approved. If it has the snell stamp the company has met the DOT standards once and is certified yearly from then on with their helmets being retested. Many competitive events require the snell stamp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts