Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fatboy and it is a great bike but it's not that great past 70 mph. I am going to the dealer to see about adding a better seat and highway bars, next would be a windshield. I am wondering, if I plan to make trips from Las Vegas to San Diego once or twice a month, am I better off upgrading to a touring bike like a road long or streetglide? Don't those bikes have better suspension and gearing for highway rides?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I love my Streetglide for any distance riding. My softail is great for cruising around town.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
If your serious, rent one and take it for a day. A windshield, better seat, and a back rest will help a lot, but in the long run, you can't beat a better ride. I had a sporty, all set up for highway, great bike, could do 70 mph all day long, but after 250 miles I just wanted to lay it over and light it on fire. Bought the Road King, so far my longest day has been 600 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have rented a streetglide when I visited TN. The gears were great on the highway, it didn't vibrate like my fatboy when I did 80+. Only thing I didn't really like was the weight when trying to park and in traffic plus the fairing was too low for my height. It gave me the "wind buffering" effect. The dealer told me if I bought one they would fix that with a bigger fairing insert. Anyways, for the long term it sounds like I would be better off with a different bike. The upgrades should help for short term/cheaper overall.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Street Glide, Road Glide, Road King, Electra Glide. There is a reason they call them "touring" bikes. It wouldn't take you long to get used to the additional weight and once you did you might say the touring bike handles better at low speed.

You see or hear of a lot of guys moving up to a touring bike. But you don't find many that move from a touring bike to a soft tail or Dyna.

And you will get addicted to having your music with you on trips.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
First thing my BIL said to me going to this RK was, "Are you sure you want a bike this heavy?" It is a heavy bike, I also, heard the comment you won't ride it as much around town. Well, 3 years later and 16k miles I can tell you, weight and amount of riding, on a bigger bike is not anything to worry about. The vibration on that sporty just killed me. I can run 300 miles, catch a bite to eat and I'll be good for more.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Street Glide, Road Glide, Road King, Electra Glide. There is a reason they call them "touring" bikes. It wouldn't take you long to get used to the additional weight and once you did you might say the touring bike handles better at low speed.

You see or hear of a lot of guys moving up to a touring bike. But you don't find many that move from a touring bike to a soft tail or Dyna.

And you will get addicted to having your music with you on trips.
Truth!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I tried to apply for a red street glide special yesterday. Due to my recent bankruptcy I only got approved to spend $18,500. The dealer wanted about 25k for the bike plus the 6k negative on my fatboy. Needless to say, I have to keep my bike. At least long enough to pay it down(or off). So for now I installed a new sundowner seat highway bars with pegs, it feels better, but I still want a streetglide eventually.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Upgrade

I just clicked over 350miles on my 2014SGS love it traded my 09FXSTC miss my softail but mrs wasn't comfy on it. Smooth comfortable and nice torque. Wife loves it and so do I , the extra weight I'm getting used to and handling and braking are much improved. Shop around I paid 24300 out the door including stage1 ac FP3 tuner andV&H slash cuts,sundowner seat with rider and pass backrests and 4point docking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts