Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Village Idiot!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what brake fluid a 2009 Dyna Wide Glide uses? DOT5, DOT4 etc? The reason I ask is, that I am thinking of upgrading the rear brake caliper on my 1986 FXR, (which uses DOT5 brake fluid) to a twin piston caliper from a 2009 Dyna, and wanted to know if there is a compatibility issue with the brake fluid. Because, I believe different brake fluids need different types of rubber in the seals etc. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
It isn't that they used different types of rubber, its that when DOT4 and DOT5 fluid is mixed, it turns into a gel.

DOT4 is only used on bikes with ABS. The 2009 Dyna was not ABS so it had DOT5.

·
Village Idiot!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I knew about the 2 different fluids not being compatible, and turning to gel when they mix, but wasn't sure about using dot5 fluid in a caliper designed for dot4, and whether the rubber seals wouldbe ok, or whether they would fail (which obviously, could be quite disastrous, depending on where, and how quickly they failed!)

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts

·
Retired citizen
22,291 Posts
You are correct, my bad that I strayed from the point !
I suppose if the OP is a good fabricator he could make the caliper fit the application. Then he'd need to use DOT 4 in the '09 brake system.

·
Village Idiot!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct, my bad that I strayed from the point !
I suppose if the OP is a good fabricator he could make the caliper fit the application. Then he'd need to use DOT 4 in the '09 brake system.
That was actually my plan SCHMIDTY. I plan to use a 1" to 3/4" reducer for the bracket eye, and modify the other end of the bracket to fit the FXR swingarm. A bit of a job, but doable.

My philosophy has always been, that you can make anything fit anything if you really want to. All you need is the right skills, tools, and materials.
A prime example of this, is the fact that I have a Dyna Fatbob seat on my FXR, that is the most comfy seat I have ever had on it. Something that I was told by many supposedly knowledgeable bike gurus, can't be done. Well, I did it! I was also told by one of them, that even if you could get it to fit, you wouldn't be able to use the stock hinge and latch, both of which are on there and work perfectly thank you very much.

·
Retired citizen
22,291 Posts
To make this easier I would use the Performance Machine 4 piston caliper kit, direct bolt on. J&P #240-377.

·
Village Idiot!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To make this easier I would use the Performance Machine 4 piston caliper kit, direct bolt on. J&P #240-377.
Easier? Yes. Cheaper? No! A PM caliper and bracket, would set me back quite a bit I'm sure, whereas the '09 caliper, and bracket is at my disposal for very little mullah ($50) from a friend, if I decide I want it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts