Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I currently ride a 2009 Fatboy and have enjoyed it very much. However now we are venturing out on farther day trips and are wanting to go on over night or long weekend trips and are looking to upgrade to something with more storage capacity, comfort and just plain more enjoyable for two up riding. We are starting the looking process and I would like suggestions. A good friend has a Ultra and it was very comfortable. I did not take it for a ride, just sat on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and ride safe!! Brian

·
Registered
632 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
Any of the touring line up will fit your needs . I also have a FatBoy that I am adding Hard bags to for longer trips , will work for me for I only ride one up

·
Registered
581 Posts
I rode a Fatboy prior to getting my street glide. My wife loves it. The ultra is good. It's like a Cadillac. It has all the bells and whistles, and the comfort is unmatched when taking rode trips. I went with the street glide because if I want that stripped down look I can have it. All I need to do is attach her quick detach backrest, throw on a two up seat and we are good to go. Very comfortable for two up riding. You can't go wrong with either bike.

"Whatever it is, it's better in the wind"

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
As far as load capacity, fuel capacity and general performance, you're going to get about the same out of all of the FLH line: Ultra, Road Glide, Street Glide, Road King. (Or the Electra Glide if you go used)

The rest is just features. Batwing verses sharknose verses shield. Do you want a tour-pak? Do you want a comm system, etc?

·
American
28,662 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. Use to have a softail deluxe, liked it. Now have an Ultra, won't go back to a Softail.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ultimate of all stolen threads. love the banter Stangs and Peanut.

To the Op: I to was on a fatboy. for all of 4+ months. then went to the Street Glide. Much better for 2up touring than the fatboy. As someone has already said, anything in the touring family is going to be better than the fatboy for overnight trips. and in my opinion, your not giving up much on the short day rides or just riding to work. Now you just have to decide what looks you want. The Ultra has all the bells and whistles, but I like the look of the SG better. Plus you can add any of the luxuries from the Ultra to the SG that you want. It will just be what floats your boat. and if you go with the SG, the first thing you will want to change is the seat for the ladies comfort. that stock seat wont cut it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . Now you just have to decide what looks you want. The Ultra has all the bells and whistles, but I like the look of the SG better. Plus you can add any of the luxuries from the Ultra to the SG that you want. . .
It's a lot more cost effective to strip an Ultra than to start adding to a SG. But, to your point, they will still look a little different.

Reactions: hockeydawg12

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's a lot more cost effective to strip an Ultra than to start adding to a SG. But, to your point, they will still look a little different.

Agreed.

"Whatever it is, it's better in the wind"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone on the help! Very much appreciated!!!! Please keep them coming, any and all help again is truly appreciated! Is there any year of Touring model I should stay away from?

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
If your wallet allows it go for 2009 and up. You will like the frame and tire improvements.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
We did the same thing. Loved the fat boy. But got back from a 2-up trip to the dragon, and the wife said we should look at a bigger bike....Woohoo...I ran out and bought an Ultra Limited that summer. Love it. Plenty of storage, a lot of bells and whistles, and very comfortable for the two of us. And with it sitting up higher, it corners better when we take trips outside Wisconsin to places that have real corners, not just round-a-bouts and on-ramps.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just remember, leather protector on a seat with no backrest could lead to a missing passenger! And that was just from leaving the dealership with a brand new SG!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts