Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally spending the money just curious if it is worth it from those that have done it. I am taking my stage 1 2013 ultra and putting new headers, SE tuner, and full Dyno on Tuesday. I have Vance and Hines high flow carbon tipped and putting the power dual headers on. Will this make a difference?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
24,354 Posts
IMO. You'll feel the difference initially ... plus you'll have dyno numbers to look at too. BUT, in a few days it's gonna feel normal, sound better tho !
The biggest "feel" difference is when you go all out from stock to maxed out. That doesn't go away in a few days.
A few years ago I did a guy's '97 FLHTC from a mild EVO to a S&S 96" crate engine. Like, WOW and the wow factor stuck. From 68 HP at the rear wheel to 100 HP. That's something that sticks.

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had the money to bore it out and replace cams, heads, etc but I do not
IMO. You'll feel the difference initially ... plus you'll have dyno numbers to look at too. BUT, in a few days it's gonna feel normal, sound better tho !
The biggest "feel" difference is when you go all out from stock to maxed out. That doesn't go away in a few days.
A few years ago I did a guy's '97 FLHTC from a mild EVO to a S&S 96" crate engine. Like, WOW and the wow factor stuck. From 68 HP at the rear wheel to 100 HP. That's something that sticks.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Hoping for the same result Vandy, and I know it will be an upgrade to the bike in sound and response overall. Bought my SGS new late in the season last year, and didn't get to ride much, but I knew the cat converter and stock pipes had to go. Over the winter I installed RC component true duals and 4" slashdown slipons. Getting ready to install a stage1 HD a/c, then the SEPST w/dyno in the spring (19 days away). I really want to upgrade my cams and save on paying for two dynos, but still mulling that one over.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It takes quite a bit to feel a difference in performance on an Ultra as they are heavy. On a lighter weight Dyna yea. You can feel that. Will it run cooler, more throttle response that sort of thing? Sure. It won't make it into a race bike though.

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It takes quite a bit to feel a difference in performance on an Ultra as they are heavy. On a lighter weight Dyna yea. You can feel that. Will it run cooler, more throttle response that sort of thing? Sure. It won't make it into a race bike though.

I want throttle and cooler. I don't want a race bike, if I did I would by one designed to do it. Thanks!!! Honestly the cooler thing is the most exciting part for me. While I get the luxury of riding in the winter I pay for it in the summer. Those stock pipes and 105 degrees sucks!

·
On the loose
8,724 Posts
From what I've heard running cooler is enough for many to do it , in 105 deg temps I don't know if it's going to be noticeably cooler or not ?

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Good Decision. You'll definitely feel and hear the difference and like SCMIDTYS said you'll have the Dyno numbers to prove it.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Tuesday is no good. Mondays are better.:)

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I've heard running cooler is enough for many to do it , in 105 deg temps I don't know if it's going to be noticeably cooler or not ?

The heat coming off those pipes in anything but cold weather sucks. I know this will move the headers and pipes down. I rode last April in shorts (going to Moto GP) my leg damn near melted off from the heat of the pipes after 15 minutes! Normally I am anti short but I experimented and paid dearly for it! Ended up putting on chaps and the right leg still felt like it was melting.

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well now that I have done it I do feel a small difference in the torque. I did not run the bike for too long but where my pipes are will make a huge difference as it is

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went up 3.5 in torque and HP but the baseline was set after the headers were installed

Final numbers (are these about right?)

Max power 74.54 at 4.86 rpm

Max torque 90.51 at 3.58 rpm

They used a model 250iX dynojet

These seem a little low but I also told them I am not looking for max numbers but good power without killing gas mileage

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Probably about right according to what I have.
You can see my mods in my sig, and my numbers are: 85hp/100tq
the 255 cams would make about that much difference i would think.

·
Señor Member
19,834 Posts
Went up 3.5 in torque and HP but the baseline was set after the headers were installed

Final numbers (are these about right?)

Max power 74.54 at 4.86 rpm

Max torque 90.51 at 3.58 rpm

They used a model 250iX dynojet

These seem a little low but I also told them I am not looking for max numbers but good power without killing gas mileage

Those are good numbers. You're right, the temperature change is the biggest payoff.

·
Registered
222 Posts
WardWerks fan will definitely help your heat issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts