Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious… If you are out riding alone and let us say, you stop and the bike tips over. No one is around. There is no way I could right an 800 lb bike. I know I could call AAA, or other service. However, is there a way to right the bike alone? I read about a device called the biker bar. Does it really work?

Jeff

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Back to the bike squat hand on frame under tank and seat other hand on handle bar and lift with your legs. I think I got it all. If I missed some one will step in.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If an 800lbs bike falls in the woods, and nobody's around to hear it......does it make a noise? :D

Follow the methos posted. I've seen 130lbs women upright a 500lbs bike.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Good to know, my EX's brother was out on a lonely 2 lane for a couple hrs one night with his glide. Story goes that he had gathered
a goodly pile of small trees and roadside debrie trying to do the leverage thing. until some fellow toothless in Loiusianians came along and help him upright.
PS remember to put your kickstand down if bike is down on the right.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
For smaller lighter bikes the preferred method is to grab the grip closet to the ground with two hands and lift in case anyone was interested.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Might be some techniques there???????
Only if you need to roll her over. If you find yourself under her.....Pray.

Pray really hard. :thumb

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an 800lb bike tipped on me and in my experience, its just a matter of finding something to grab onto that wont break off. I did it like in the video but with one difference. I was facing the bike. The trick for me was making sure it didn't go down the other way as it was down on the side with the kick stand.

Facing the bike made this easier though because when I got it pretty close to fully up, I was able to kick out the kick stand with my right foot, where as if I had my back to it, I would have had to do a shimmy shake turn heal toe move that would have ended up with me in the hospital.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I had an 800lb bike tipped on me and in my experience, its just a matter of finding something to grab onto that wont break off. I did it like in the video but with one difference. I was facing the bike. The trick for me was making sure it didn't go down the other way as it was down on the side with the kick stand.

Facing the bike made this easier though because when I got it pretty close to fully up, I was able to kick out the kick stand with my right foot, where as if I had my back to it, I would have had to do a shimmy shake turn heal toe move that would have ended up with me in the hospital.
We all have to do things as we see fit at the time, however by doing it facing the bike you are placing more weight on your back and not your legs. Just an FYI from a guy with a bad back.:)

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Aparently when this happened about 5 miles from a rally in Belgium

I got this off of me and stood it on the stand

Then I walked back and picked up a Sportster with my right hand while I picked this up by the throat with the left from under it.

then I heard a voice saying just put him down, leave him alone. A really surreal experience ,I don't remember any of it happening, but three seperate witnesses related the same tale to me.

The other thing to remember is if it goes over, you need to cycle the ign / immobiliser or it won't start. Guess how I found out ?

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
You have to remember, even though it's an 800# bike, you're not having to dead-lift 800#'s. My wife can right my ~620# V-Rod. One just needs to use proper lifting stance.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
You have to remember, even though it's an 800# bike, you're not having to dead-lift 800#'s. My wife can right my ~620# V-Rod. One just needs to use proper lifting stance.

100% right, I once saw a smallish lady lift a Gold Wing. Put your back to it and bend your knees

·
Registered
289 Posts
Might be some techniques there???????
If I was a 130lb man dating a 500 lb woman, I think the last thing I would want to do is turn my back to her and squat :eek
I would leave her laying there.

BTW, I thought you were supposed to be able to put the kickstand down with your left heel... at least on a touring bike. It's been a while since I saw the vid.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts