Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Hang on tight, squint, cuss, pray, cry, yell, scream and ride on through them.

Sometime you win...

sometimes the critters win.

·
Dirty Member
1,141 Posts
Hit the brakes as hard and as safely as you can without locking em up.
You can slow down a bike 10, 20 ,30 mph or more in a short distance but as mentioned before this would most important like with deer, moose, cows etc but there is no reason to make an emergency stop for a squirrel or rabbit.
The trick is doing it without making things worse like loosing control or sliding off of the road. With a big critter like deer, slowing down 30 mph before impact will make a big difference. It will still suck.
I would actually duck if possible. Better than a full force blow in the face. I have seen videos where the deer jumped at the last second clearing the bike, rider and deer never made contact.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Hang on tight, squint, cuss, pray, cry, yell, scream and ride on through them.

Sometime you win...

sometimes the critters win.
Man, your post just sent a chill up my back.. you know this all too well. Thanks to you, if a critter wins on me.. i'll be wearing a lid.:thumbsup

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Man, your post just sent a chill up my back.. you know this all too well. Thanks to you, if a critter wins on me.. i'll be wearing a lid.:thumbsup
Too damn well...I hit a deer back in September and totalled my Electra Glide. There's a detailed account thread on here somewhere titled "Oh deer, not so lucky." I think there was 3 or 4 of us that got hit around that same month. Some of us walked away, some got banged up one had some serious time in the hospital.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
Sometimes I think I'd rather face an armed crackhead than have to try to avoid a deer that wanted my space on the road. Those things scare me probably more than anything else I can think of.

·
Dirty Member
1,141 Posts
Deer, Elk, and Antelope are the reasons I don't ride out of town at night.
Here in Wyoming this is a no fence state and you don't know when you are gonna run across one of those soft cuddly cows in the road.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
Here in Wyoming this is a no fence state and you don't know when you are gonna run across one of those soft cuddly cows in the road.
Or a buffalo....and the elk don't make me feel comfortable either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And often times when you see and avoid one, a couple more come bounding out.
Absolutely! I tell everyone not to watch that one as it goes away, watch for all his buddies. They sometimes run in groups of 5-10. I have dodged a bunch of them. They will light on the pavement in front of you and lose all traction with hooves on asphalt. Always be on your toes where the trees and brush are close to the road. No reaction time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
in 2013 was riding along en route to the beach in FL, when I felt something smack my back. next thing I feel something moving inside my vest. Stopped as fast as possible safely. Wut did I find? A lizard in my vest. Good thing is I luv reptiles, so was cool to me, not scarry...Also few times have pulled outta the carport to find one or two of those little geckos hanging onto the bike. In these cases I like to go a bit slow to see how long they hang on for the ride. had one that I thought jumped off, only to see him on my headrag when checking my mirrors,lol As mentioned I enjoy this. Now bigger critter on the road r just a hazard to us two wheel warriors!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got lots of deer in Pa Am constantly on look out. But last week I crested a roller to see a turkey 1/2 way across road. I was doing 55 and no way going to stop. I tightened grip on bars and looked thru him. I thought surely he will stop or turn back. NO He tried to jump just as he got beside me. Hit me in the shoulder, put a wing on my windshield and rolled back shitting all over my bike. I had no other damage but could only think: what it that had been a deer. Can never be cautious enough. Be safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LOL...This kast summer, I was coming back from an awesome trip to PEI (second trip to Atlanticade bike rally/great!). I had a great first day ride, stayed at the airline rt motel overnight (they serve food, breakfast at 6 am, so its convenient plus nice place to have a campfire at night and a few beers of choice...) on rt 9 coming from Calais to Bangor...Get up in the am after a great night, have a great breakfast, do my emails (they have wifi) and head off on a fantastic last day ride home with perfect weather...5 minutes down the road, a dumbass skunk runs out across the road, I only had time to veer to the left a little to try to avoid him, unfortunately, he sped up to try to avoid me and my front wheel hit him right across the back...When I realized I was going to hit him, I held on tight and there was a little bump and I kept of going...he did not...RIP you little stinker...Anyway, stopped ahead and ran my tires thru sand a few times to help with the smell...Would not want to try again or a bigger animal...2 others...a buddy almost got taken off his bike by an eagle in vermont last year...I was right behind him, it came out of the woods chasing something, he ducked and swerved...real close. My brother was riding down the road when a snake (garden snake) crawled up into his lap!!! Thats a hoot, cause he hates snakes...he did not crash but had to change his pants!!! Ride critter free!
Is the Airline still...primitive? from ex-Mainah in MT 30 yrs.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.