Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing initial research for a custom FLSTF build...

While I'm browsing various forums during the day all I read about is how Softail frames are "a dime-a-dozen" and "at least Evo motors are cheap." This, however, has not been my experience in browsing craigslist and eBay. Is this a case of me not having my 'acceptable price range' up high enough or do all the prices jump in the summer?

What would you guys consider average prices for Softail Evo frames and engines? I wanted a nasty-big Twin Cam, but when reading about all the heating issues and the A and B styles... I think getting a used Evo and maybe throwing a 100" kit on it down the road would be a safer bet.

Thanks for those opinions!

·
Banned
75 Posts
Considering that the evo had a loooooooong life and is a rather good engine they will be a dine a dozen. Craigslist and eBay are not places to buy them go look in motor mags like the horse. There's an add in there for rebuilt evo engines for about 2500. If that's not in you price range call up junkyards they'll have me at good prices but no knowing if telling if they will work or not.

·
Super Moderator
12,570 Posts
I see EVO engines on craigslist fairly regular for $1500, but you never know what you are getting. Make sure you get good paper work on the motor and frame or you will have a lot of trouble registering and insuring it.

I paid $2800 for a factory fresh crate motor that was leftover stock and on sale at a HD dealer up in MN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! I think my target price for a motor is somewhere around $1000. It doesn't have to work. Part of the fun of this project is going to be rebuilding the bike from scratch. I've seen lots of discussions about paperwork though... Whether the VIN goes with the engine or the frame. I know with cars, it's the frame/body... But that's harder to replace than on a bike. Should I be looking for a title from BOTH or would a receipt and/or bill of sale be fine? I know registering this bike will be a nightmare... But I don't plan on selling it, so I'm not even slightly concerned with resale.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
My son in law is a Deputy in Motor Vehicle theft division (Florida).
He spends his vacations working for local LEO in Daytona for bike week and biketoberfest.
Harleys have serial numbers in several places, and the law can confiscate a bike for mismatched numbers, IF the owner does not have documentation. So, get as many signed papers and bills of sale as possible, and get friendly with the people at your local DMV (not always easy). One ass hat cop can cause you mucho problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know! I was considering getting a wrecked bike too, but they're apparently impossible to come by and few come with clean titles anyway... So, if I'm fighting a salvage title with a wrecked bike, I figured assembling a scratch-build wouldn't be much different. Thanks for the note on multiple VINs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts