Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new to posting a question not new to Harleys though. The police Dept. is selling some of its Harley FLHPs. I had looked at these years ago and was told to pass due to questionable maintaince and, if I remember they had specialty parts that had limited availability.

What is the current thought on these , if they can be purchased at a good price, Yes or no?? Thanks Ike

·
Registered
39,514 Posts
I'd buy one.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey all new to posting a question not new to Harleys though. The police Dept. is selling some of its Harley FLHPs. I had looked at these years ago and was told to pass due to questionable maintaince and, if I remember they had specialty parts that had limited availability.

What is the current thought on these , if they can be purchased at a good price, Yes or no?? Thanks Ike
Depends on several factors. Was the wiring unpluged or just cut ? What lights , etc are left on unit ? High mileage is always something to think about . Lots of hours sitting at idle, motors getting VERY HOT.

Remember that most of the bikes were also ridden fairly roughly over there lifetime .

For myself..I'd stay away from them. You can get a better unit at the same pricepoint if you just look around . :)

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I love my 06 FLHPI. They have better maintenance than most personal bikes, due to it being a matter of public safety.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a 06. No issues with it. But mine had very low miles. Just treat it like you would any bike you are considering. Do they have records for the bike?

·
Registered
257 Posts
In the town I work in the Cops I have talked to say they hardly put a lot of miles on them so look at maintenance and mileage of the bikes in your area. Like anything used....

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I have a 06. No issues with it. But mine had very low miles. Just treat it like you would any bike you are considering. Do they have records for the bike?
Mine also had low miles, 11,000 miles. All wiring unplugged not cut.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
a friend of mine has a police road king, and has had no issues with it. I looked at several, but they all had a lot of miles.
regards,
dave

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I would buy one for sure, if the price is right. As stated, their maintenance schedule is usually better than most.

When's the last time you saw ANY LEO broken down on the side of the road??

Just look for the obvious. Mileage is just a matter of maintenance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all thanks for the great responses, greatly appreciated!!!!! A few questions, I was once told that the FLHP used specialized HD parts that are sometimes difficult to find and cost a premium. True or nonsense?

What is the norm for a motorcycle with regards to mileage per year? What would you all consider too many miles for a bike?
Thanks again Ike

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've read that the national average mileage for motorcycles is less than 6000 miles per year.

From the Kelley Blue Book....

What is the average yearly mileage for a motorcycle?
Obviously mileage will vary from year to year and model to model. A simple guide could be to consider the type of bike you are looking at: If the bike is a sportbike 600 c.c. to 999 c.c., and since these bikes are traditionally weekend only bikes, you can expect to see lower miles, about 3,000 miles per year. Tourers or Sport Tourers usually see a lot of miles, but these are generally freeway miles, between 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Hey all thanks for the great responses, greatly appreciated!!!!! A few questions, I was once told that the FLHP used specialized HD parts that are sometimes difficult to find and cost a premium. True or nonsense?

What is the norm for a motorcycle with regards to mileage per year? What would you all consider too many miles for a bike?
Thanks again Ike
I haven't ran into that with mine. Although I haven't HAD to replace anything. It had different tires but that was no big thing. It had D402Ps. They were kinda like run flats, but that's not what they were called. In 06 the police bikes were the only ones with abs brakes. I really like my police air solo seat. :)

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
I would from my local... Not serviced by the pool garage.
Dealer maintenance and no expense spared as they are cash rich as a PD.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would not worry about getting parts. I have had zero problems getting parts. I would worry more about the wires looking butchered.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
The bikes might be great I dont know. But personally I try to stay away from anything that has to do or had to do with the police.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts