Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new ultra limited. Was wondering what upgrades I should think about getting?

·
Super Moderator
4,242 Posts
CVO is the way to go. Sure it costs more but if anything happens, insurance-wise or resale, the base price of the bike is higher. If you add all the stuff on that the CVO has, it is all sunk costs. Just look at one and see what you would add and see what the cvo offers. Sure, exhaust and bars would still need modified maybe.... I could be wrong. But going stage 2 would be pretty pricey. the 117 already has decent cams and air cleaner.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Taking the tour pack off makes a Huge difference I know for a fact.
10 inch bars will help also.
Arm rest .
The motor you have is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CVO is the way to go. Sure it costs more but if anything happens, insurance-wise or resale, the base price of the bike is higher. If you add all the stuff on that the CVO has, it is all sunk costs. Just look at one and see what you would add and see what the cvo offers. Sure, exhaust and bars would still need modified maybe.... I could be wrong. But going stage 2 would be pretty pricey. the 117 already has decent cams and air cleaner.
What is the cost of a stage 2 kit for the ultra limited?

·
Registered
835 Posts
My wife really likes the armrests I have on my Ultra Limited.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
What is the cost of a stage 2 kit for the ultra limited?
The Stage 2 from a base bike is several different parts/kits. Head over to the HD website and you can price them all out. Don't forget those prices don't include installation.

If you are negotiating with a dealer on the bike this is a good time to talk about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife really likes the armrests I have on my Ultra Limited.
How does your wife like the overall comfort? I’ve sat on a few but haven’t test rode one yet, planning on that this weekend or next. From just sitting on one I can tell it’s a bit more cramped than the Vision, the seat feels like it will be more comfortable, but only a long ride will confirm that

·
Registered
835 Posts
How does your wife like the overall comfort? I’ve sat on a few but haven’t test rode one yet, planning on that this weekend or next. From just sitting on one I can tell it’s a bit more cramped than the Vision, the seat feels like it will be more comfortable, but only a long ride will confirm that
My wife said the passenger seat is very comfortable. We still make sure and stop so we can get off the bike, stretch, walk around, etc.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We put arm rests on our new Ultra and a year later she wanted them off. 3 years without and she never asked to put them back on. Won't know unless you do it though, everyone is different.
I've heard several people (including service guys I trust) say DON'T mess with the M8 except for slip ons and intake or deal with lots of heat.
Changed our stock seat for a Road Zepplin. Better long distance seat by far.
Whats "useful" to us may not be to you.........

·
Registered
835 Posts
You may want to consider renting an Ultra Limited for a weekend so you can take an "extended" test ride with your wife and see if she is comfortable after a few hours of riding. Better to find out ahead of time if your wife is going to like riding as a passenger before spending $30,000 plus on an Ultra Limited. Sometimes my wife rides with me and other times she rides her 2016 Forty-Eight. We have a Sena Communication/Intercom System for our half-helmets which we both love - whether we're riding separately or together on my bike. Makes it so much easier to talk while riding.

I've been considering the Detachable Tour Pak Kit ($575) so I could remove my Tour Pak and turn my Ultra Limited into a Street Glide. I believe the docking hardware used for the Tour Pak would also work to mount a passenger backrest. If you ride solo without the Tour Pak, you may want a different style seat too as the Ultra Limited seat would have a "taller" passenger pilon than the seats on a Street Glide or Road Glide. Not sure how the Ultra Limited seat would look (appearance wise) without the Tour Pak.

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is what I mean . . .

Attachments

·
Keeper Of The Kept.
826 Posts
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new ultra limited. Was wondering what upgrades I should think about getting?

If it doesn't come with LED headlight and spot lights, I'd change them out. Made a world of differenct on mine at night. I don't know where you are in Texas but here in San Antonio I know a guy. He also does the colored LED's that accent your bike with remote and phone app. The blink, strobe and fade also. Six months ago it all cost me $310 all together. He also does air rides for $500 with remote to raise and lower your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may want to consider renting an Ultra Limited for a weekend so you can take an "extended" test ride with your wife and see if she is comfortable after a few hours of riding. Better to find out ahead of time if your wife is going to like riding as a passenger before spending $30,000 plus on an Ultra Limited. Sometimes my wife rides with me and other times she rides her 2016 Forty-Eight. We have a Sena Communication/Intercom System for our half-helmets which we both love - whether we're riding separately or together on my bike. Makes it so much easier to talk while riding.

I've been considering the Detachable Tour Pak Kit ($575) so I could remove my Tour Pak and turn my Ultra Limited into a Street Glide. I believe the docking hardware used for the Tour Pak would also work to mount a passenger backrest. If you ride solo without the Tour Pak, you may want a different style seat too as the Ultra Limited seat would have a "taller" passenger pilon than the seats on a Street Glide or Road Glide. Not sure how the Ultra Limited seat would look (appearance wise) without the Tour Pak.
I have also been considering a street glide CVO and purchasing the tour pack for when we ride 2 up

·
Wayward Son
23,253 Posts

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,170 Posts
Ride it 10,000 miles as is then start upgrades. You will appreciate the difference more. Unless upgrading for posing. Then get help elsewhere.:ride

1 - 20 of 21 Posts