3,886 Posts
I use 93 octane in mine.

·
Just Ride
3,886 Posts
See your other post.

·
Registered
89cu in Evo, 1000cc Ironhead Sportster, ‘96 Vmax,500 Bullet,700 RE Super Meteor and lotsa bits.
4 Posts
Hi y’all, I’m new here and to let guys know about the Fuel Diamond gadget that you put in your tank to combat the problems with this ethanol rubbish. It stops the tank corroding and stops your fuel going stale. I use it in my Evo 89 cube and will use one in my Ironhead 1000 when I get it on the road. The Fuel Diamond lasts 5 years and they aren’t expensive (about £5 over here).I also have one in my ‘96 Vmax. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
I ride often so no need for anything like that in my tanks. If it's gonna sit for awhile I add some Star-Tron or run a tank of ethanol-free gas through it first. I'm kinda picky when it comes to non-gasoline stuff going in my fuel tanks.

·
Registered
89cu in Evo, 1000cc Ironhead Sportster, ‘96 Vmax,500 Bullet,700 RE Super Meteor and lotsa bits.
4 Posts
I ride often so no need for anything like that in my tanks. If it's gonna sit for awhile I add some Star-Tron or run a tank of ethanol-free gas through it first. I'm kinda picky when it comes to non-gasoline stuff going in my fuel tanks.
Hi RJ,
Thanks for your reply. I’ve never heard of Star-Tron and I don’t think it is available over here.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
Hi RJ,
Thanks for your reply. I’ve never heard of Star-Tron and I don’t think it is available over here.
It's a type of fuel stabilizer and works great

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi RJ,
Startron is the ONLY ethanol gas stabilizer that works GREAT that i know of. I've been using it for many years. You can find it at Walmart, Tractor Supply, and i'm sure other places. Whether u r using 87 or 93 octane i would suggest using it if the gas is going to be in the unit for awhile.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The problem is that the corn in the "new and improved fuel" will attack the floats and gaskets in the older carbs, so no, unless you convert the carb and the rest of the fuel system over.

Sent from the secret underground bunker

·
Registered
26 Posts
A question. If you can buy ethanol-free fuel, why ever buy anything else?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
A question. If you can buy ethanol-free fuel, why ever buy anything else?
Because it typically costs about a dollar more per gallon, and is usually lower octane.

Modern machinery is designed to deal with the ethanol, it is not an issue.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
You said, "I'm kinda picky when it comes to non-gasoline stuff going in my fuel tanks." Ethanol is non-gasoline; seems inconsistent.
Dude, really? Maybe I corn-fused you, pun intended, so I will clear it up:

If it didn't come from a gas pump, or whatever you want to call those thingies with all the hoses attached to it that most people use to put gasoline in their vehicles, then I am skeptical.

I hope that helps and that you have an awesome day! Take care and good-bye! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like it or not, Ethanol is a component of gasoline these days.

Did you come here to look for an argument, or just to be a Dick?

Either way you did fine.
I don't understand people buying ethanol fuel IF non-ethanol fuels are available. Ethanol fuels may be less expensive but they deliver lower miles per gallon & they need to be treated w/costly fuel stabilizers if the fuel is left to stand. Ethanol fuels are hygroscopic like most brake fluids, meaning they attract water moisture from the air into our fuel systems. Non-ethanol fuels can be safely stored for up to six months w/o the need for adding expensive stabilizers.

I live in South Dakota and I can readily buy non-ethanol fuels for about $.10/gal more (premium). Our rides have 5 gallon tanks bone dry. I never run ethanol fuels in any of my vehicles unless I absolutely must.

I farm & I grow corn & soy beans, alternating between the two crops every other year. Ethanol has greatly driven up the price of field corn, which is the only reason the government started pushing & subsidizing (w/our tax money) ethanol. The Ag industry & their lobbyists pushed the Federales to mandate for ethanol & the purpose was not to save the galaxy (although that's the excuse they gave us), but to increase Ag revenue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts