Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a service manual for my 883 today and was lookin at the oil specs. it says if you cant find harley oil to use an oil certified for diesel engines if you need to add oil. is it acceptable to use diesel oil all the time or is it an emergency type thing? i live too far away from a harley shop and dont reallt wanna pay $12 a quart for oil. what is a good alternative to the harley oil that want kill my wallet?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't recall paying $12 a quart for Harley oil the last time I bought some. If you change it often enough, it doesn't matter much which oil you use, as long as it's quality oil in the right viscosity. I think that diesel engine oil is closer to the additive package that's found in Harley oil than most other automotive oil. Any other oil that's formulated for motorcycles is probably good, too. That said, I use nothing in mine but Harley oil and Harley oil filters. Saving a few bucks isn't worth the uncertainty for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just left Bud's harley in evansville, indiana a few hours ago and it was $11 and some change plus tax. i dont spend that much on oil in my 2010 fx4 f150 and i sure as heck dont want to do that in a 2004 883 lol

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Mobile 1, Amsoil, any diesel oil designed for the earlier. pre 2008 ( I think). And yes the correct amount of oil is closer to 3 qt. than 3.8 qt.. While the diesel oil is fine for the engine, you MUST use an oil certified for wet clutch use in the transmission/clutch/primary. Which means a motorcycle oil, with that certification. You can use Mobile 1 motorcycle oil or Amsoil motorcycle oil in the engine and transmission.

·
2,327 Posts
if you own a Mercedes nothing is cheap

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've always used Rotella T 15w40 since i bought the bike 2 years ago. The guy I bought it from said that's what he used so that's what I've been using. I haven't had a problem yet. It's 12 bucks for a gallon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never owned a benz or anything similar and never will. and i wouldnt call a 2004 sporty benz quality lol

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Almost all motorcycles require wet clutch compatible oil for the clutch/transmission. Air cooled engine require an oil that can withstand higher temperatures than most water cooled engines. Lots of motorcycles share the oil between transmission and engine. The Sportster DOES NOT. So the engine oil can be a high temperature oil with out the wet clutch requirement, but the primary still needs the special oil.
Look at it this way, you bike only need the oil changed every 5000 miles or so and 4 qt. of even the bet oil is only about $50.00. Cheap insurance for long service life!! If that's too high a price to pay, don't own a motorcycle!!

·
Registered
36,951 Posts
All your answers can be found in the sticky posts in the oil and filters forum.

Thread moved to that section.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
so if i just get the mobil 1 20w50 vtwin i can use it in primary and as the engine oil?
Yeah, but an oil made for the primary tranny combo on the sportster works better with an oil made for dual purpose. I have used all kinds over the years. After I made the switch to Formula+ I could not be more happy. Lasts longer than gear or motor oils and feels the same if its 16F out or 108F. Price is not outragous like most harley brand stuff. Way less stuff on the drain plug magnet too.

Just dont over or under fill it with whatever you use. IMO thats more important than the type of oil you use.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The HDEO 15w40 oils are wet clutch compatible. On the newer big diesel equipment it is what they use in the tranny as well. Most people think that the HDEO stands for Heavy Diesel Engine Oil, it stands for Heavy DUTY Engine oil, and is for gasoline engines as well, read the bottle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts