Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Heritage Classic with Screamin Eagle air cleaner. I just installed V&H straightshots slip-ons. I'm getting a lot of popping and exhaust grumbling every time I let off my throttle. I'm thinking about buying a V&H FP3. Anyone have experience with this? Good or bad. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2012 Heritage Classic with Screamin Eagle air cleaner. I just installed V&H straightshots slip-ons. I'm getting a lot of popping and exhaust grumbling every time I let off my throttle. I'm thinking about buying a V&H FP3. Anyone have experience with this? Good or bad. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The FP3 will give you a map to get rid of the decel pop. It also has the autotune feature. If you only want a quick flash, save some money and get the cheaper FP. If you want a custom tune, then the FP3 is the way to go.

This isn't the first post on this topic, do a search. Many people have, use, and love it.

Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got about 500 miles on mine with pipes only, and have little to no popping, even with a factory map. I was probably 90% done with Autotuning and just added a S&S teardrop, so starting again from scratch.

I was skeptical at first, but I'm slowly becoming a believer. For just doing A/C and pipes, if you have no intention to ever dyno tune, I believe the FP3 is everything they say it is.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
do a quick search. lots about this already hashed out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got about 500 miles on mine with pipes only, and have little to no popping, even with a factory map. I was probably 90% done with Autotuning and just added a S&S teardrop, so starting again from scratch.

I was skeptical at first, but I'm slowly becoming a believer. For just doing A/C and pipes, if you have no intention to ever dyno tune, I believe the FP3 is everything they say it is.

PeteZ28,
What kind of pipes did you put on? Did you have popping or other issues before installing the FP3? If so, did the FP3 correct the issues?

·
Registered
33 Posts
PeteZ28,
What kind of pipes did you put on? Did you have popping or other issues before installing the FP3? If so, did the FP3 correct the issues?

I went with the Big Radius 2+2. I did my pipes at the same time as the FP3, and that was not long after bringing the bike home from the dealership. So no, I did not really have much popping as the bike was stock, but I do seem to recall having more. Now I have none.

PS... just got back from 40 miles with the new A/C, and WOW, what a difference! I think you'll be more than happy with the FP3.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with the Big Radius 2+2. I did my pipes at the same time as the FP3, and that was not long after bringing the bike home from the dealership. So no, I did not really have much popping as the bike was stock, but I do seem to recall having more. Now I have none.

PS... just got back from 40 miles with the new A/C, and WOW, what a difference! I think you'll be more than happy with the FP3.

Do you recommend flashing my bike with the map that the FP3 suggests, and then remove it from the bike? Or should I put it in the auto tune mode and leave it on the bike while riding?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been running my FP3 for about a month now. My bike was
been stock and it did made a noticeable difference.

My Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner kit showed up today and I
promptly installed it. Haven't had a chance to run it yet, but I did
download the map for it, and flashed my ECU. I'll take her out
tomorrow morning for a shake down run. I"m interested to see if
the Big Sucker really makes a difference. I'm still running the stock
pipes though.

The way the FP3 works on autotune is that you first download and
flash your ECU with a V&H base map. Once you have that done,
you put the FP3 in autotune and ride your bike.

After riding for a while, the unit will learn your riding style and
create a map in the FP3. You can then flash that autotune map
onto your ECU. It doesn't do it automatically, you have to flash
the autotune map into your ECU.

Once the autotune is flashed(above), you can select "finish" and it
will save the flash and turn autotune off.

Or, you can select the "apply" option which will flash the ECU and
continue to autotune (collect data). When you are finished with
autotune, you select the "finish" option and it will flash the ECU and
end autotune.

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts