Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sir

I am also curious as to why V&H would say to be 'very careful' in auto tune.? Could you explain?

Thanks......Colt.45

Because if you burn the map without reading the instructions on how to do so, you can jam up the ECU pretty good.

I.e.: someone whom just throws the unit on the bike and does not read instructions. When they rip the map off stock ecu to save as the "stock map" and don't do it properly, there's a chance you don't save the map complete or you corrupt a file etc.... auto tune for the FP3 is Very specific on how to achieve a proper "auto tune", meaning you need to follow the instructions to a T. Failing to do so ends up in a "over cooked map" which in itself isn't that bad a issue, until your trying to reload the stock map to start from again...

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
Because if you burn the map without reading the instructions on how to do so, you can jam up the ECU pretty good.

I.e.: someone whom just throws the unit on the bike and does not read instructions. When they rip the map off stock ecu to save as the "stock map" and don't do it properly, there's a chance you don't save the map complete or you corrupt a file etc.... auto tune for the FP3 is Very specific on how to achieve a proper "auto tune", meaning you need to follow the instructions to a T. Failing to do so ends up in a "over cooked map" which in itself isn't that bad a issue, until your trying to reload the stock map to start from again...
I dont know where you get your "facts" but do you actually have any experience with a FP3? Doesnt sound like it.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
With the Harley tuners you can have a dealer or a tuner load a canned map or a custom map or you can dyno tune the bike with it. The FP3 only loads canned maps then uses the auto tune function to tweak them. You can not dyno tune with it.

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
Out of curiousity, how does the Harley Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuner or Pro Street Tuner compare to the FP3 you're discussing?
With the Harley tuners you can have a dealer or a tuner load a canned map or a custom map or you can dyno tune the bike with it. The FP3 only loads canned maps then uses the auto tune function to tweak them. You can not dyno tune with it.
Ultra Struck is correct, but I believe that the FP3 canned maps will enrich your AFR far more than the dealer will do anymore, dyno or not. As of this year the dealers will only use or sell SE tuners now regardless of year of the bike from the sound of it. Of course you can have an indy do your dyno tune too, but you will need an aftermarket tuner to make it worthwhile unless you can get your hands on a virgin pre-2017 SERT. And of course, if you use anything but a Harley approved SE tuner on a 2017 bike you can forget your warranty.

I'm a FP3 user but I can see some advantages in using other brands like Power Vision too, although they are a lot more expensive. I'm not sure you can use them for dyno tuning either though. One of the many PV users here can answer that.

I will say that my FP3 didnt make that much difference on my bike because I was already using a canned SE map for my build of motor, but others say it did a lot to wake up their stock bikes. Auto tuning mine just smoothed out the power curve and gave me maybe 5 more HP at most.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The SE Pro Street Tuner + Auto Tune unit that you can get from Harley Davidson now will adjust for a lot of changes, but will tune to an EPA compatible level. it will start with a can tune or dyno run tune and then the Auto Tuner adjust from there as you ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if I'm thinking about going stage II with big bore kit (96->103) and not blowing my ExtendedServicePlan, then I should go with just "HD Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuner"?
Also, do you know off hand if I can do the work myself without voiding warranty? I'm guessing not.

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
So if I'm thinking about going stage II with big bore kit (96->103) and not blowing my ExtendedServicePlan, then I should go with just "HD Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuner"?
Also, do you know off hand if I can do the work myself without voiding warranty? I'm guessing not.
If ESP is a concern I would say thats under warranty so yes on sticking with HD approved tuners. I dont know about doing the work yourself, my conversion was done at a dealership by the previous owner. Its just a bolt together job so I would think you could do it though. The one problem is that you will probably have to buy the street tuner and use the dealer to load the canned map for the conversion, UNLESS you go PV and get your map through Fuel moto, but then you blow your warranty.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you wanted the new parts to also be part of your extended warranty then the dealer would have to do it, otherwise you could do it and not hurt your warranty for the rest of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have always heard the dyno tune is really hard on the bike but not a mechanic and can't say for certian. I think what led me to get the FP3 was that you can do the dyno tune or have HD tune the bike and if your software/ECM has a little hic-up you lost it and then have to pay the $300 - $400 to have it done again. With the FP3 or any aftermarket tuner for that matter just go back and program your last tuning session whether it be the base tune or your more advanced tune.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Dyno tune is the only way to go if it's done by a skilled tuner. You will also find out that most tuners that do it for a living will not mess with the fuel pak. You may want to call Steve at GMR he's one of the best in the business and will answer all of your questions

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
I have always heard the dyno tune is really hard on the bike but not a mechanic and can't say for certian. I think what led me to get the FP3 was that you can do the dyno tune or have HD tune the bike and if your software/ECM has a little hic-up you lost it and then have to pay the $300 - $400 to have it done again. With the FP3 or any aftermarket tuner for that matter just go back and program your last tuning session whether it be the base tune or your more advanced tune.
In dyno tuning the tech takes your motor thru the RPM range all the way to the rev limiter quite a bit, thats what some people consider hard on the motor. But you can also do that on the road with auto tuning your FP3, you just dont have to. Its an experience though!

As far as restoring a map, yes thats an advantage of the FP3, but I dont think ECMs hiccup or lock up like a computer does. I have never heard of disconnecting your battery as a reboot for a ECM anyway.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Ultra Struck is correct, but I believe that the FP3 canned maps will enrich your AFR far more than the dealer will do anymore, dyno or not. As of this year the dealers will only use or sell SE tuners now regardless of year of the bike from the sound of it. Of course you can have an indy do your dyno tune too, but you will need an aftermarket tuner to make it worthwhile unless you can get your hands on a virgin pre-2017 SERT. And of course, if you use anything but a Harley approved SE tuner on a 2017 bike you can forget your warranty.

I'm a FP3 user but I can see some advantages in using other brands like Power Vision too, although they are a lot more expensive. I'm not sure you can use them for dyno tuning either though. One of the many PV users here can answer that.

I will say that my FP3 didnt make that much difference on my bike because I was already using a canned SE map for my build of motor, but others say it did a lot to wake up their stock bikes. Auto tuning mine just smoothed out the power curve and gave me maybe 5 more HP at most.
You do have full dyno tune capabilities with the Power Vision tuner. The trick is to find someone that knows how to tune with it, they are not as common as tuners that use SERT tuners. A bike tuner that uses a SERT may not have any experience with a PV. It is totally different.
If you buy a Power Vision from Fuel Moto they will give any map they have which is hundreds and unlimited support. My PV tuner quit working and Fuel Moto sent me another one even though it was out of warranty.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You do have full dyno tune capabilities with the Power Vision tuner. The trick is to find someone that knows how to tune with it, they are not as common as tuners that use SERT tuners. A bike tuner that uses a SERT may not have any experience with a PV. It is totally different.
If you buy a Power Vision from Fuel Moto they will give any map they have which is hundreds and unlimited support. My PV tuner quit working and Fuel Moto sent me another one even though it was out of warranty.
Those guys at Fuel Moto are awesome. I just bought the PV and the target tune(wide band O2). Had a bad cable, they talked me through checking it and had a new one to me the next day.
I had my bike dyno'd by the dealer when I had them do my upgrades (to preserve ESP) and the tune was garbage. Sure the bike ran like a raped ape going through the gears, but was jerky in traffic.
The Fuel Moto tune along with a few auto tune sessions and I have a whole new ride. :grin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vance & Hines FP3 error

Good evening.

I just bought FP3 and I'm having problem pairing it to my 2017 Harley-Davidson Roadster 1200.

I keep seeing the error "mapStream was corrupted. Checksum is wrong. Process did not complete. Please try again later".

How can I fix this?

Year: 2017
Model: Roadster 1200
Exhaust: Vance & Hines Slip-on 3" Twin Slash
Intake: Screaming Eagle Chisel Extreme Billet (High-Flow)
Engine modifications: none
VIN: VIN-413195

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've made contact with Vance & Hines and they told me to update the firmware of the App (?) or of the FP3, I'm not sure.

But It didn't offer this choice when I was using the App on my iPhone.

So I got it with another iPhone of a friend of mine. Then it worked. The App asked to update the firmware automatically, then it worked just fine..

Thanks!

·
Employed
4,095 Posts
Those guys at Fuel Moto are awesome. I just bought the PV and the target tune(wide band O2). Had a bad cable, they talked me through checking it and had a new one to me the next day.
I had my bike dyno'd by the dealer when I had them do my upgrades (to preserve ESP) and the tune was garbage. Sure the bike ran like a raped ape going through the gears, but was jerky in traffic.
The Fuel Moto tune along with a few auto tune sessions and I have a whole new ride. :grin
I also have the PV and the target tune on my 17 SESG. Very satisfied with it now. I am planning on getting it dyno tuned in the near future...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I also have the PV and the target tune on my 17 SESG. Very satisfied with it now. I am planning on getting it dyno tuned in the near future...
Me as well.
When I think I am done changing $hit lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening.

I just bought FP3 and I'm having problem pairing it to my 2017 Harley-Davidson Roadster 1200.

I keep seeing the error "mapStream was corrupted. Checksum is wrong. Process did not complete. Please try again later".

How can I fix this?

Exhaust: Vance & Hines Slip-on 3" Twin Slash
Intake: Screaming Eagle Chisel Extreme Billet (High-Flow)
VIN: VIN-413195

Hello DoctorTuta,

I'm having the same trouble here with the same bike a HD Roadster 1200 also here in Brazil, how did you manage to solve this?

att,

Eduardo

Exhaust: STOCK
Intake: Stock

21 - 40 of 48 Posts