Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I installed V&H short shots and performance machine air cleaner and rode it without installing the fuelpak. The bike sounded great and ran fine and went from 85-95 miles (stock) before gas light came on. Then went down to 75-80 (after upgrades minus fuelpak) before gas light came on. Then after I installed the fuelpak the gas light came on at 54 and the bike sounds different but feels ok (it might just be in my head but the loss of gas mileage isn't and 50 miles a tank ain't going to work) any suggestions or thoughts on what the problem is. (I checked the settings like 5x so I know they're correct) I'm fine with removing it but afraid to because everywhere I've read says if you do pipes and air cleaner you have to either do a fuel management system or a tune up. (Can't afford a tune up) btw I'm not a gear head but I'm learning here and there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
While the FP will purposely enrich the fuel/air mixture that seems like a very significant increase in fuel consumption based on the typical enriching. The FP enrichment would be a few tenths of a percent, something like 14.5 to 13.8, about a 5% enrichment while you're seeing a 30% increase in fuel consumption. I'm no expert on fuel management systems but that's seem like a lot more fuel consumed based just on the operation of the bike before and after tuning.

I'm sure others will chime in to share their experience but my experience with the factory tuning after changing pipes and air filter (increased fuel flow to maintain ~14.5 stand fuel/air ratio) was about an 6% inrease in consumption. I'm sure that would go up somewhat with the Fuelpak but again, 30% seem excessive.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Bigger gas tank?

Reactions: Colt.45

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Contact V&H. See if they will give you some different settings to try. Their initial instructions are generic, maybe they can give you something more specific to your bike and where you ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called Vance and Hines. They told me to remove it and see if there's a difference and if so call them back so they can suggest other settings. I'm going to ride with the FP still on for a few more tanks but if they're still 50mile tanks then I'll remove it and see if it goes back to being 75-85 or so. Then call VH back and see what they say. Thanks for the feedback hope to get it resolved quickly as it's my a to b.

But to be sure if after removing the FP gas mileage does go back to normal. it's a bad idea to not have the bike tuned or have a fuel management system installed? Correct?

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
What kind of bike do you have. I am assuming that it must be a sporty with a small tank. You could probably bring it to the dealer and have the ECM reflashed. I would have no idea how lean it would be running without the fuel pack, so in the longrun you will probably want the FP programmed correctly, or get it reflashed or a different tuner. But I would think that V&H should be able to get you fixed up. If not, what good is their product?
Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My understanding is that the FP does not repeatedly flash a new fuel map to the ECM. It either will flash a "stock" V&H map based on the exhaust/intake configuration selected or over time while it is attached to the bike analysis your riding and builds a custom map for your bike that you have to flash to the ECM once that map is generated (I believe you have to tell the unit to flash the map once it has been created).

Removing the FP just leaves whatever map was flashed to the ECM last and to restore the original map that was on the bike prior to installing the FP (I believe that map is saved by the FP unit) you have to issue a command to FP flash and restore that original map.

I don't have a FP but this is my understanding of how it operates.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Paul is correct,I have FP3 my Streetglide. Flash a map and take tuner off unless you are auto tune. I am on third canned map from V&H,I had popping on initial map andV&H tech recommended a couple different ways to go and now is very good. Just installed to change map and remove after. Will probably try autotune when weather gets nice to see if it will improve. My glide gets 40to 45 mpg on highway,I check every tank. Incidentally my wife's 883 goes 150mi before low fuel light comes on,totally stock.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide with a Big Sucker filter, D&D 2-into-1 FatCat exhaust and S&S Easy-Start 551 cams - and a V&H tuner. I get around 48 to 51 mpg which translates to over 210 miles per tank , with a 20 mile margin, before I have to start looking for gas.

Tuning a tuner is like playing a piano - just because you can make some noise with it does not make you a pianist. Open Road Cycles in Denver, NC installed and tuned my tuner. Even though V&H had a map for my configuration, it took a couple of attempts for AJ to get the tune just right.

It is real easy to add too much fuel or screw up the map so that you bike runs like crap, gets bad mileage or does not develop enough power. At first mine sounds like it had a Jake-brake whenever it closed the throttle.

Now it is about a perfect as you could want. The bike has plenty of power - it pulls hard right up to the rev-limiter and it gets great mileage, which translates into excellent range.

What I like about the V&H tuner is that it is a simple tuner to set up. It has fewer options that the Power Commander tuners, but it is easier to get a good tune on the V&H tuner.

The work that you did to your bike most likely would not warrant a tuner - a remap at Harley possibly - but not a tuner. Until I put the cams in my Dyna, I could have gotten by with just a Stage-1 remap from Harley and that was with a D&D Fatcat exhaust and a Big-Sucker intake.

Pete

Hey guys I installed V&H short shots and performance machine air cleaner and rode it without installing the fuelpak. The bike sounded great and ran fine and went from 85-95 miles (stock) before gas light came on. Then went down to 75-80 (after upgrades minus fuelpak) before gas light came on. Then after I installed the fuelpak the gas light came on at 54 and the bike sounds different but feels ok (it might just be in my head but the loss of gas mileage isn't and 50 miles a tank ain't going to work) any suggestions or thoughts on what the problem is. (I checked the settings like 5x so I know they're correct) I'm fine with removing it but afraid to because everywhere I've read says if you do pipes and air cleaner you have to either do a fuel management system or a tune up. (Can't afford a tune up) btw I'm not a gear head but I'm learning here and there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your right........after you do the map you have to flash the CPU. I performed a auto tune function on my 2014 1200Custom........."WOW" what a difference........It runs like stink! Vance and Hines fuel pack 3 is the bomb!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts