Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed vance and hines short shots staggered on my 09 nightster with a stage one air filter. i got it remapped but it still backfires and makes loud pops occasionally. is this normal even though its remapped because of how short the pipes are with the back pressure?

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,008 Posts
A dealer stage 1 download (if this is what you got) Although technically a remap is not a "tune". Even with a S.E.R.T done by your dealer they are not allowed to do anything that richens it beyond epa regulations. The stage 1 from my research is a timing adjustment and rev limit increase.

·
SNOWmageddon!
1,511 Posts
I'm running into the same problems with my shortshots.. heres my setup:

'09 1200
shortshots
PC V
K&N filter

the [email protected] thing pops and spits like crazy.. loud as hell too. I took the exhaust off last week and put in new gaskets thinking maybe I had a leak.. but nothing changed. I guess the only way to fix it is to add some more fuel to the mix.. but maybe that wouldn't help either. I'm starting to think it is just a symptom of the short pipes..

edit: and all of this was added on by the dealer. I may take it by this week and see what they say. I'm gonna let them handle it as long as it's under warranty.

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
lol I feel ya I just changed a jet and screwed in a little bit good thing about having a carb, I would go with a good tune of some kinda the V&H fuel pack is suppose to be very good on the sportys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after about a week or so now its rare for me to hear my pipes pop or backfire now. im not sure if the pipes needed to be "broken in" or something of that sort, but there is a definite difference in how often, almost never now, it backfires compared to when i first installed them.

for the tuning, will i get back some of the fuel economy i sacrificed putting the pipes on with just the remap alone? or will the fuel pac just burn more gas?

·
SNOWmageddon!
1,511 Posts
With the upgrade, you're gonna burn a bit more gas. It's just the nature of the beast. The more air you let in and let out of the engine, the more fuel you have to add to keep a healthy AFR.

After you installed, did you run the bike to get it good and hot and then check the tightness while it was hot?

I finally got mine fixed with what they call the "lollipop" mod. Theres a sticky in the exhaust section called "drag pipe blues". It killed my popping about 90% and deepened my exhaust note a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have got an 07 sportster custom 883 with the 1200 conversion from screamn eagle with the vance and hines short shots also. I also have the power commander 3 I belive for it also I bought this bike used and I just so happend to get lucky with all of these goodies, the problem I am having is that the" short shots" have removable baffles .in them I took them out one day it ran fine till about 15 minutes into the trip it started to I guess what was almost like a"prefire" And" sputter" it ran like garbage. What I tring to figure out is do I need to remap my power commander for my pipes with out baffles in them and advance/ retard the timing? Either way any help on the issue wpuld be great this is my first bike and I love my harleys super loud please help me out cuz I know nothing about the power commander.

·
Registered
5 Posts
having some of the same issues but different situation

Ok I am a new member I have a F.I 07 883C with the 1200 S.E kit with a power commander 3 on board and Vance and Hines short shots with removable baffles. I bought this bike used with all these goodies on it already. It did not come with anything to tune the power commander. So one day I decide to remove the baffles to see how much louder I could get it and see if it performs better. It ran fine for the first 15 minutes of the trip, but it began to run like crap and it sounded like it was firing to soon or to later( sounded like a moeped putting). When I slowly advanced the throttle more and more it seemed not to do it as much. But at a steedy throttle it did it all the time.sounds great with out the baffles init but runs like crap. I was wondering if there was a tune for open baffles or sumthin I could do about this small issue. I am also looking for the rest of the power commander3 kit I have the brain for the ECU but nothing else. Looking for a lil info help would be great.

·
SNOWmageddon!
1,511 Posts
hey Weasel, take a minute to go to the new member section and introduce yourself. People will be a lot more inclined to help you if you do. Also try searching for answers before double posting. It's a good chance it has already been discussed at length at sometime or another. Safe riding..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry about the double post ya'll I'm using my blackberry curve and I still haven't quite figured it out yet and its a bit strange usein my smart phone for constant internet access but for now its all I got.as for the PC5 is that a way better set up for my 07 and will it plug directly in to my PC3 unit pigtail, also is it a lot more user friendly cuz I have no idea how to tune. I understand you need a desk top and/or a lap top computer with that. I have a desk top but no internet access to downlaod maps for the program

·
SNOWmageddon!
1,511 Posts
No worries..

I'm not sure what you mean by asking if the PCV will pigtail into the PC III. They are two totally separate units and you can have one or the other.

I don't think one is anymore user friendly than the other. For both, I think it is as simple as downloading the software, downloading the maps, choosing the correct map, and sending it to the power commander.

You don't have to actually tune the bike yourself.. thats what the pre-made maps do. Hope this helps..

·
SNOWmageddon!
1,511 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure that the PCIII and PCV can plug up exactly the same way..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this same problem. Heres how i fixed mine. my pc3 is under my seat not sure where yours is but you will have to be able to push the three buttons in after about 3 or 4 seconds after you turn the ignition on and the run button on the handle bars after you do this the led lights on the left side of the unit will jump to the middle location. You have three buttons LOW,MEDIUM, and HIGH. To richen up or add fuel click each button one time the led will go up one light for each click. To lean or subtract fuel hold button in the led will go down and watch close because it goes down faster than it goes up. Most likely your backfiring is due too being too lean i would start with one click on each button to add fuel. Then let it sit and store to memory for 30 seconds. cut off the power and the start your bike and go ride it and see what that did. See if it still backfires and if it does what range LOW,MEDIUM, or HIGH it is still backfiring and then add one more click in that range too add more fuel. But before you try this make sure you don't have an exhaust leak by tighten up the exhaust header flange on the pipe. Also check the throttle positon led light on the unit to do that you need to cut the power on and the run button but do not crank the motor and twist the throttle and look at the led lights to see if they move up and down all the way from top to bottom and let oof and see if it returns to the very bottom. if it goes to the bottom you are ok if not your will have to reset the throttle position. You can play with the buttons until you get it right and stop the back firing. just don't get it too rich. Hope this helps you. You might want to go and download the manual for your PC3 from there website and read it to learn what it really does......:thumb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.