Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Dyna Fat Bob. Last week while driving I started having problems with the engine cutting out when coming to a stop. I was able to get home as it restarted easily enough and when I got home I got a "v in er" readout on my speedometer display. I bought this bike in the US and to make it compliant for Canada I had to switch out the speedometer to one in KPH. I bought the Harley Davidson replacement unit with the speedometer and tachometer all in one unit.

Yesterday I tried to do the diagnosis for error codes. When releasing the odometer reset button (only one button which switches between the different trip meters and resets the trip meters etc) the speedometer and tachometer needles did thier sweeps however after that it came back to the " v in er "code and when pushing the reset button it would not change. After checking the plugs to make sure they were not fouled I stated the bike up, it started fine, and took it for a ride. It worked fine and the stalling problem at low speeds did not repeat itself. The tachometer and speedometer worked fine and the 6th gear light came on as usual however none of the usual display features seemed to work. no mileage, no trip meter, no gas gauge only the "v in er" readout.

At first I thought it may be the speed sensor however they problem did not repeat itself and I cannot seem to do any self diagnostics to find the error codes. The speedometer and tachometer functions work well. Unfortunately I cannot find the installation instructions for the speedometer unit so I am at a loss

any ideas?

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Try holding the trip button in while turning the ignition on. Hold the button in for about 5 seconds or so. Read the codes and post them here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried that the needles do their sweep, the lights do their thing and the readout is stuck at "v in er" and does not give any error codes.

I was able to track down a copy of the speedometer/tachometer on line and it states that this code means that the unit has been married to another bike and should be re-installed to the original bike to ensure that there is no vin error, however I bought this unit new from Harley and installed it on this bike so I am guessing that I should unplug it and re install it back on this bike. Then maybe I will be able to get the error codes from the bike that will tell me what my original stalling problem was. The bike is very low mileage with around 3,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not saying this is it, but worth a try...a buddy of mine was doing the same...turns out he was missing multiple firmware upgrades for his bikes computer...cost him sixty five bucks and the bike still runs like New...instantly...I had them check my bike and I had three upgrades available that my ex dealer never checked for...
Same with my buddy, his bike was at his ex dealers so called service department three times for the stalling issue and they did not even do the basics...
Oh, by the way, he broke down on a trip...Thank God for McDermotts hd in fort anne, ny...they are the only hd dealer who will ever touch my drive train...they can actually be trusted...very refreshing...
Might want to try it, not expensive and takes minutes, but must be done by hd dealer...Good luck.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
A couple more things:
You can check the H-D website for ECM updates from your VIN, also recalls if any.
Try unplugging the Maxi-Fuse for 5 minutes, that'll reset the ECM. Big orange fuse in a holder on the battery tray.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I was away visiting my kids for a while but am back now and have time to continue with my problem. I took the bike for a ride and the original problem of the stalling at low speeds did not manifest again and the bike seemed to run well except for the fact that there was no digital readout on the speedometer other than the "vin er". The tachometer worked fine and the speedometer needle worked as well however the digital readout display was jammed on the "vin er". I unplugged my speedometer and reconnected it and it cleared the " vin er" code and allowed me to do the diagnostics and it came up with the following
I held the reset button in while turning on to ignition. the readout said "diag" when I pressed the reset button again it gave me a P 55P6 reading
I held the reset button in for a few seconds and then it came up with "none"
I pressed the reset button again and it gave me a "Pn 329 19-078" code
so I am assuming that this is the error code from the original problem am I right and if so what is this code?
Thanks

·
Banned
71 Posts
There is a sticky in the electrical section that has all of the codes and how to read them. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OKay thanks

I found a thread on diagnostics and redid the complete diagnostics and here are some more results.
I went through each of the P55P6 codes

with the P code I got Pn 32919-078
with the 5 code I got Pn 68921-07
with the 5P code I got Pn 709000 69A
with the 6 code I got NO RSP

I'll check to see if I can find the codes in the sticky

·
Banned
71 Posts
OKay thanks

I found a thread on diagnostics and redid the complete diagnostics and here are some more results.
I went through each of the P55P6 codes

with the P code I got Pn 32919-078
with the 5 code I got Pn 68921-07
with the 5P code I got Pn 709000 69A
with the 6 code I got NO RSP

I'll check to see if I can find the codes in the sticky
You have already cleared the codes...those last ones are the speedo's part numbers.

Go ride some and then recheck for codes afterwards .

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I have an 09 Dyna Fat Bob. Last week while driving I started having problems with the engine cutting out when coming to a stop. I was able to get home as it restarted easily enough and when I got home I got a "v in er" readout on my speedometer display. I bought this bike in the US and to make it compliant for Canada I had to switch out the speedometer to one in KPH. I bought the Harley Davidson replacement unit with the speedometer and tachometer all in one unit.
Was the replacement speedometer a new unit?

"v in er" = VIN error. Typically meaning it's already been mated to a motorcycle VIN.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the unit was brand new from the local Harley Dealer and is an optional Harley unit that has a tach built in. I bought it in order to change out the original speedometer which was in MPH as I needed a KPH for inspection here in Canada since the bike was purchased in the US. When I got the unit I mated it to the bike and everything has run very well for over a year until I had the stalling problem and got that code. I found it weird as the unit had been mated to this bike and this bike only. As I stated I was able to clear this code by unplugging the speedometer and then plugging it back in so I think I had some kind of problem unrelated to the speedometer and somehow the speedometer just got bugged. As soon as the weather permits I will take the bike for another ride and see what happens and see if I get any diagnostic codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yesterday (1/21/15), after about a 7 mile ride for a meet-up and gas, I 're-started' my engine, which sputtered & died, and then I had the same code/info. appear. After about 5 minutes (not running, nor ignition on), the code disappeared and did not re-appear. I then went for a 285 mi. run (ran well the entire time), let it set overnight and checked for codes,...All indicated OK with 'NONE' showing at each mode.

It sounds like I have the same unit (combined tach/speedo), except mines in MPH, was brand new from Surdyke, I installed in March of 2014 and have put 10k miles on the new speedo since then, with no problems.

My symptom, however, did not include, continuing, lengthy or other issues (things not working/displaying properly) with the digital or any other display.

I read the previous, regarding possible firmware updates, although have not been able to relate this to anything yet.

This was on my '09 Road King FLHR,...So with the slightly different symptoms and different bikes, I am very interested if anyone else 'out-there' could chime-in with similar OR different symptoms and does this possibly lead to potential break-down problems.

I am planning some very long-duration runs (in out of the way destinations) soon and would really like to get this addressed before heading out!

I also will update here with any further details, if they crop up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2/8/15 Update re: "v in err" code,...After reading numerous online entries regarding this, it appears to me that my problem has been 'low voltage / questionable battery'. I had noticed that my bike has been 'hard-starting' recently, I tested my battery with the load-tester I have and it showed OK (not great, but within the 'green' zone). I then used my voltmeter to load test, during starting, and it showed a drop down to 6 volts and below!!

Put in a new battery (Batterymart.com) and,..so far..so good. I've only ran/started the bike 8 to 10 times since, so I will advise if anything else 'rears its ugly head'.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple more things:
You can check the H-D website for ECM updates from your VIN, also recalls if any.
Try unplugging the Maxi-Fuse for 5 minutes, that'll reset the ECM. Big orange fuse in a holder on the battery tray.
I just wanted to say thank you.
I have a 2010 Fatboy with less than 9000 miles on it and this error code popped up in my cluster yesterday.
The bike didn't want to start... smoke coming out of the air intake... spitting and sputtering.
I finally jumped the bike and it started and I went to a local HD dealer and bought a battery for $146 hoping that would solve this problem.
It solved the starting problem, but the V IN ER code would not go away.
The dealer I was at said they'd take a quick look at it, and a half hour later they tried to convince me to leave the bike for further evaluation because they couldn't clear it.....
I just disconnected the orange fuse for not even 30 seconds and plugged it back in.
PROBLEM SOLVED !!! ****ing thieves.
There is no way they did not know how to do this.
Thank you again !

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you.
I have a 2010 Fatboy with less than 9000 miles on it and this error code popped up in my cluster yesterday.
The bike didn't want to start... smoke coming out of the air intake... spitting and sputtering.
I finally jumped the bike and it started and I went to a local HD dealer and bought a battery for $146 hoping that would solve this problem.
It solved the starting problem, but the V IN ER code would not go away.
The dealer I was at said they'd take a quick look at it, and a half hour later they tried to convince me to leave the bike for further evaluation because they couldn't clear it.....
I just disconnected the orange fuse for not even 30 seconds and plugged it back in.
PROBLEM SOLVED !!! ****ing thieves.
There is no way they did not know how to do this.
Thank you again !
You're very welcome ! And the mechanic that worked on your bike might not have known he could reset the ECM via the maxi-fuse. That info isn't in the electrical diagnostics manual.
Also the code is "VIN ER", the ECM isn't reading the bike's VIN number correctly do to a low voltage condition, resetting the ECM with the maxi-fuse is like rebooting your computer.

Reactions: JLR

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
AND seeing as how we're back to this thread I want to add that the maxi-fuse should be removed before doing ANY electrical work on an EFI Harley. Like replacing a battery or unplugging any of the sensor connectors etc.. There's also a procedure to remove the maxi-fuse before replacing the battery if the bike has a security system with siren.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You know what they say, your never to old to learn something new, appreciate the info Schmidty, I didn't know that about pulling the main fuse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts