Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Please help me!!! My wife and I have had our vacation date planned for 6 months now. Its finally here, Leaving out Sunday through Thursday. This is the first vacation we will have taken just the two of us, since my 2 year old son has been with us (not counting the occasional blast to Eureka Springs for a night then drive back we did twice). We planned on hitting Arkansas, Eureka Springs, Jasper, etc. just riding and finding out what we want to do and where to stay when we get there. We dont like to plan to much of our trips because we normally find way to much other things to do and plans get messed up, so we just pick places to go and when we see things we wanna do we do em. Anyway, with this said, forecast for Rain Sunday-Tues. what would u guys do??? Go ahead and go? If it rains oh well? Or given we havnt booked hotel rooms we are able to go somewhere else, so would u go elsewhere if the forecast holds? And if so where would u go (if u lived in Northeastern Oklahoma of course) open to any all suggestions.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Chances are that it won't rain 24 hours each day. Get a weather channel app on your phone and watch the radar. I commute about 45 miles to the school where I teach and back. Many times I've pulled into a gas station and just hung out for an hour until the rain went by.

Do you have some rain gear? You won't be able to ride in heavy rain but even after a rain storm, the pavement will still be wet for awhile.

Go for it! Even dodging rain storms is just another adventure. You won't melt.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Riding in the rain is no fun for rider or passenger.
I would try and head a different direction since you have no hotel reservations yet, if you did I would just chance it.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Also, the chances that it won't rain in a 6 day period are pretty slim.

If you are confident riding in the rain and your wife is okay riding in the rain, I say go and have fun.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Put on rain gear as needed.

I have to disagree with Sickness, I enjoy riding in the rain.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Go for it...thats part of it...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have rain gear, she is about to have rain gear! You guys are right, I ride everyday rain, shine, Snow, Ice... Well no Ice but u get the point. I am just worried about her, I want her to have a good time but I think I may be over thinking this. Ill grab her a rain suit and we'll have a great time

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I have rain gear, she is about to have rain gear! You guys are right, I ride everyday rain, shine, Snow, Ice... Well no Ice but u get the point. I am just worried about her, I want her to have a good time but I think I may be over thinking this. Ill grab her a rain suit and we'll have a great time

Keep her as warm and dry as possible, ride cautiously, and try to avoid it."

"Can't always be 75 and sunny" to quote my wife.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Welcome to my world, never fails on the last two major trips... I'm heading west from Illinois on Sunday, trying to see how many states I can nail in 5 days.. just because. Unless its dumping, where I can't see, I will be on the bike heading out. If you delay and wait it out, its just gonna stay cloudy and p!ss ya off, once you get on the bike, its gonna rain...never fails. Check your tires for PSI, suit up and ride.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,364 Posts
It's rare that I go on a trip without at least one shower to ride through. These days I call them a "bug wash".

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
use the map and weather map like a menu, go with what looks good at the time. have a ball.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
use the map and weather map like a menu, go with what looks good at the time. have a ball.
That is exactly what we did the 1st week in May. Our original destination was WV, but it was under siege by rain. We used the weather channel radar on the Iphone and the sky to set our daily route. Wh had ten days of fairly rainless riding in unexpected areas.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Late to this thread but I'm interested in knowing how your trip turned out. Rain? No rain?
How did the Missus like the trip? She handled the weather OK? My wife surprised me with how well she handled the rain and cooler temps we encountered on our first M/C tour. I'm betting yours did too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Late to this thread but I'm interested in knowing how your trip turned out. Rain? No rain?
How did the Missus like the trip? She handled the weather OK? My wife surprised me with how well she handled the rain and cooler temps we encountered on our first M/C tour. I'm betting yours did too.
Well we picked up her rain suite when we got their. The next three days we road in mostly wet, torrential downpours at times, but like yours, she handled it alot better than I had originally thought. We had a great time, we did everything we wanted to do plus alot more. The rain was actually keeping the temps down and was really comfortable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Unless total downpour you can get along nicely with good and I mean good rain gear.
Don't get in a hurry and watch for pooling water on the highway(hydroplane) and your schedule may get extended from place to place, but take some breaks along the way. Often times the showers will blow over quicker than you think and it's a joy to see that sun shining but as mentioned above their is still lots of water on the road surface and those rain pants will make a big difference even though the rain has stopped. Remember it's an adventure anytime you are riding a bike, rain or shine. Stay safe and enjoy your vacation to the hilt!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rain r shine, it too ride every day also planning on a week long trip with my wife Rain or shine, i am in California, doesnt rain long enough will let wife use rain gear and i will just use chaps and leather until we get where we are going, no worries

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
Funny how much difference a week makes in the luck of the draw. We made reservations near Jasper for the 18th-22nd of June to use as the base for our trip. Rain in the forecast and a 3 hour ride from where I live, but we needed the getaway so we kept with the schedule. Turned out not getting a drop of rain the entire trip and rode the area using the Butler Map as our guide.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts