Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to drain the fuel out of my new to me springer and realised that I wasn't getting any fuel flow after opening the petcock.My last bike was a 94 FX springer and this is a 95 FX springer and it has a vacuum petcock which no other bike that I have owned had one...I think I am putting it on the get rid of list but I guess I should find out if it should go or stay...are there any issues with them...thanks,ron

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
The only issues I remember is that the diaphragm can fail and the gasket can leak.
The vacuum petcock is a safety feature, if the engine dies the fuel will stop flowing to the carb.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
I never had any issues with mine, except if it backfired, it would almost always blow the vacuum line off and then "run out of gas" 100' later. Push it back on and off you go.

My current old bike has the Pingel. No problems there either.

2 springers? You are mandated to post pictures. I am green with envy. My brother's neighbor has a beautiful "springer" but he traded some guy for an FLH front end. I wish I had been "that guy". what a deal. One day I wan to either get a springer front end for my Dyna or get a springer outright. I just love that look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grtman66,I only have the 95.I fell on some hard times and had to sell the 94 and I vowed that the day ever came that I could get another...wellll the day came and I got really lucky and found a Bad Boy with only 2800 miles on it...less than 200 miles per year average...I'm just going through it and adding a few goodies that I had on the 94 that I liked and generally giving it a go over.some of the rubber stuff that was exposed weather cracked,nothing serious...it is in excellent shape...I just noticed our addy,I bought this in your neck of the woods in Fairview...

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
The stock petcock is a good one.
There's better things to spend $100 on IMO.

Either rebuild the diaphragm, or do the bypass kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts