Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08' FLHX with FBI 2 into 1 exhaust, and big sucker. Just installed Andrews 48H cams with SE adjustable pushrods last week. It was relatively nice today so I took the bike out and made a lap around town. I noticed at 2700-2900 rpms it had some valve noise. Once I got above that rpm range it stopped. I also just installed a Power Commander with a map that was similar to my setup.
I am using AmsOil 20W50 in all three holes. Any ideas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
What gear at 2700-2900 rpm ?

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
4th would be high for that rpm range. Rule of thumb for H-Ds is a gear per 1000 rpm. You should be hitting 3rd at 3000 rpm.
I'm guessing the noise you're hearing is ping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...I readjusted pushrods to 3.5 turns but still have the noise. Is this just because of the higher lift on the cams? I have rode it about 40 miles now and regardless if gear it is always from 2000 to 3000 rpm. Get past 3000 rpm and do not hear it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll give an opinion, only an opinion.

All of my Harleys had some sort of valve train noise at certain rpm ranges. It ALWAYS got worse as the oil got older, and ALWAYS got worse if I changed the cam.

That particular rpm zone of 2800 to 3000 is where it seems to be worse. My current 110 with a 57H cam does it. No amount of fiddling with the pushrod length/lifter preload will change it.

You might try a cheap 20W50 oil for a few hundred miles and you might hear a change. But it will quickly come back.

Some attribute it to the cam profile, others to the rocker arm side play.

I call it mechanical resonance where the mass of the moving parts set up a harmonic resonance that can be heard.

Earbuds and some ZZTop will cure it for sure.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Try a different map with less advance. I still think you are hearing ping. Or maybe higher octane gas.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Not on the "chatter" subject, but we use a high quality motorcycle oil in the engine, a dedicated wet clutch oil in the chaincase, and a manual transmission gear oil in the gearbox.
We suspect that the Amsoil is a good product, but the way that company is set up(like Amway) every single person on planet earth can be a "dealer" with them........:spank:
Scott

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I do think that a solid dyno tune can cure your problem.

Run almost the same set up on a 07 EG, 48h, SE intake, Power Vision, and Freedom Performance headers with Kury Krusher mellows.

After a good tune; cooler running, stock quiet , nice smooth power everywhere, the tune was the key. Find a good tuner with a solid rep and it will be the best money you have spent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts