Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of SE Heads and Andrews N-4 Cams in my '04 1200R and used the SE Perfect Fit pushrods. They were noisy and my mechanic recommended adjustable pushrods. Adjustables are now installed and they are just as noisy. In fact the valve noise is louder then the exhaust and it's quite annoying.
I expected a little noise from the higher lift cams but should it be this noticable?
Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
check your oil pressure. double check the adjustment on all push rods. change your lifters. i run headquarters .650 lift cams in my 117. incher and you can bearly hear it run. your "mechanic" should know better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know they have some noise but I doubt simply changing heads and cams can make it this loud.
I guess I have to have a more reputable shop open it up and check it out. Maybe I'll learn how to. I have all winter.

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
What kind of noise is it? Like a lifter tick?

The N4 cam is a "bolt in" cam, nothing radical, and the ramps on Andrews cams are easier on the valve train in general than other comparable aftermarket cams.... So the noise you hear shouldn't be from cam choice.

I'd start by checking to make sure the pushrods are adjusted properly.

Then if thats not it, read this:
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/catalog/21_SportCamNoise.pdf

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts
Could be lifters. You might want to pull them and inspect the play in the rollers.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I know squat about Sportsters but I do know from experience that if You install lifters in a shovelhead the wrong way the won`t oil and they will make lots of noise.
Also does the Sportster have a lifter filter screen like the Shovels and if so could it be plugged???
Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts