Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put about 500 miles on my monster ovals with power duals exhaust on my 14 SGS. I'm not happy with them. The best way I could describe the tone is flat. I had the pro pipe on my Fatboy and was hoping to mimic that with the ovals. Not the case. I suggested getting the pro pipe for my SGS but I like the twin exhaust look and don't want a ghost muffler. I did read a lot before purchasing but it's just not what I expected. They look great under the bags, but just not for me.

My question is can anyone suggest a muffler that isn't too loud. I like a low rumble but will crack when you roll on it. I want to be able to hear my radio. Looking at the Monster rounds and Rhinehart 4", and CFR. My main concern is I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud and want to be able to hear radio.

Also, If anyone is interested in buying my Monster Ovals PM me. 500 miles on them.

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I had the Monster Rounds, and I think they are a good all around sounding muffler. I have Rineharts now, 4", and they are quite a bit harsher than the Rounds. Wife definitely liked the Rounds better as well. Radio was easier to hear, and we could talk a lot easier as well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also considering drilling holes into the baffle. I've never done it before and wonder if it can be undone. It's supposed to make it louder.

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the rounds for all the same reasons. We want to be able to talk and listen to music. I love loud pipes but don't want to be ridiculous. These have a nice low rumble until you get on them. All my buddies say it's pretty loud behind the bike. Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look good too. I really like the look of the ovals. Just not impressed with tone.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
They sound better after some miles. I have the same setup on my SG and after 15k miles I think they sound pretty good. Probably sound stupid good if I yank the baffles out. I love the sound of Rineharts though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you heard of drilling holes into baffles? Tried listening to some audio online but nothing significant.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
I've heard of it. If I were to do it, I'd just yank the baffles altogether.

Pretty sure you can get an unpleasant result by drilling them. But I could be wrong.

Have you heard of drilling holes into baffles? Tried listening to some audio online but nothing significant.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I have 4" chrome Rinehart's and love sound and look.
Not too loud unless you get on her then she is pretty loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take a look at the V&H 450 Oversized. there are a couple of youtube videos, they produce a low deep rumble and still allow you to hear radio. Put them on with the V&H header and now have the tone I was looking for.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take a look at the V&H 450 Oversized. there are a couple of youtube videos, they produce a low deep rumble and still allow you to hear radio. Put them on with the V&H header and now have the tone I was looking for.

Like the look and sound of those. Probably going to look into them further. Thanks!!

·
Armed&Conscientious
535 Posts
I have the power duals with 4" Rhineharts, I love the throaty rumble, not too loud and not harsh.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have Fulsac Baffles in HD CVO Ultra Mufflers. Baffles available in 4 sizes; 1.75", 2.00", 2.25" and 2.50". I have the 2.00". Love the sound and look of them. If I didn't have these, I'd have 4" Rhineharts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the Monster Rounds and I love the sound! They do sound a bit better as they get broke in.
I got the Monster Round because a loud exhaust is obnoxious when riding long road trips, loud exhaust are alright if you only ride a 100 miles or so a day with frequent stops but when you do 200 to 600 miles a day you don't want a real loud exhaust.
The baffles in the monster style mufflers are around 24 inches long and they are wrapped in fiberglass, the front of the baffle is coned shape and it closes off the front of the exhaust flow and directs the flow to the sides of the baffle through the fiberglass.
I had to replace the baffle in one of my Monster Rounds because it was rattling and it is not a easy job, the fiberglass is melted to the insides of the muffler and it bunches up while pulling the baffle. The only way I could get the baffle out was to totally destroy it, I had to dig out about 14 inches of fiberglass which took about 3 hours to do plus I had to break tack welds and bend the expanded metal the fiberglass wraps around.
I would suggest that it would be better to leave the baffles alone and get a new set of mufflers to change the sound.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried finding decent audio online for the street cannons but no luck. I'm probably going to scope out my dealership for a while to see if I can hear em'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.