Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got tips or tricks to getting the baffles out of short shots be struggling with them for a bit. Doing end caps with back pressure plugs. Tried several lubricants 3 in 1 wd 40 etc and theres no budge.

·
Registered
526 Posts
With the retaining bolt remove it shouldn't take a lot of force to pull them out. That said there isn't a lot to grab onto when trying to pull so the only other thing is to remove the mufflers and use a dowel to bang them out from the other end.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are the one piece short shots. I got them with the pliers (bolts out) and pulled to the point I was moving the bike, in 1st gear, backwards.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
If you take an old screw driver and bend the tip in a kinda v shape, you can hook it behind the baffle and tap on it. Or hook it in one of the holes in the baffle.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
And if said screwdriver has a big handle...

Go get one of them "dent pulling slide hammers " from harbor freight.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Take it off bang the rear end sharply on a soft surface like plywood. Sort of like tapping the handle of a Hatchet on the ground to get the head tight. Enough hits and it will come. Put a rag on top as not to damage the pipe. The shock will force it to gradually come out. Dent puller sounds easier to me though

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Well....strap the bike down.......shoot some blaster in there......just bring it to me.... i'll show ya some ******* engineeering...:smile

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
maybe get them hot now and that should expand the metal enough to get it loose. either ride it hard or use fire./........im kinda interested in the gun powder thing my self hahahahahahahahahah

1 - 20 of 42 Posts