Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lookin to replace my stock headers on my 03 road king with the vance and hines true duals and rush mufflers. any thoughts on the true dual header system?
thanks.......

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I liked the true duals that I put on my Street Glide. The engine breathes a little better and the mileage improved a little. You do lose a (very) little performance, but most people wouldn't even notice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Normally makes an exhaust system a bit louder, but it also put the sound in "stereo" out the back of the bike.

You will lose some low-end power with duals, but you'll gain some mid-high end power.

To me, the best true dual system is the Rineharts...........great fit and finish, and the best sound.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have Rinehart true dual on a 99 Road King (carb). I was not able to feel any difference in power. My gas mileage may have dropped some, but I think that is because I run the rpms higher before I shift. They sound good and look good on my black road king. I have not seen any tech discussions regarding power loss by eliminating the cross over. Is the effect different for a carbed engine than a fuel injected engine?

·
Registered
12 Posts
01 Road King EFI

is it true you must buy a power commander (tuner) if you go with the Rinehart true duals? I have the above bike with a Stage 1 and the Rineharts...I paid alot of money for the power commander, because I was told i "had to"...I started having problems (red check engine light stayed on)...I wanted to change the map and see what that would do...problem is there is no PCIII map that matches my bike....so I just disconnected the PCIII and went with the stock EMU...red engine light is off and is much more responsive..I do get popping accelerating (winding it out) and decelerating (again spiking the RPMs)...so I guess my question is...am I causing damage/trouble in the future? Please anybody chime in ;) Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Dave you have been an amazing wealth of knowledge...Can you get ahold of a custom map for the PCIII for my bike? or what web site would be helpful....I have gone to Power Commanders website to download maps....But they only have maps for PCIII USB...The site says you can't use PCIII USB with the old PCIII(purchased in 04)

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The ideal way is to have your bike dynoed at a shop that deals with the PCII or III. Thats what I would like to do myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did exactly that...they changed the map...Tech said that the first installation the "other" tech had programmed in the stock map...not sure what that means?? I took the bike with the "new map and the bike became sluggish and the gear pattern "felt" lower...sooooooo, well check out my new thread today titled "Just how bad is this?" Hope that wasn't a "spoiler"...

·
Registered
8 Posts
power commander

I have a 08 Dyna Low Rider stage one and just put the new Bassani wrap around 2 into 1 with the power commander. My understanding is you need to get your bike dyno'd after adding power commander becaise it will muck with your mapping. I'm completely happy it was like a totally different bike more horse power especially bottom end and love the sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts