Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the instructions for installation for pre 98 models they mention a post when installing the new bracket for the rear header. Does anyone know what this post is for and, is it necessary for installation? I'm thinking it's for the battery ground but, wouldn't the ground still be able to use the stock location provided the allen bolt is long enough to accommodate the bracket and, the ground? The instructions are pretty vague about the need for the post. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It should be conected to your starter, its purpose is to hold the rear header in place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got that part but, do I need the hd part# 65619-98 which is the post mentioned in the instructions or will the clamp mount to the bracket without it? I probably wasn't asking the right question before. Referring to the way the clamp mounts to the bracket that mounts to the starter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ya I just looked at my instruction book yea you will need to order that part from Harley. I have an 07 that does not require that part but I did have to replace my mounting post because it broke. The good news is my local dealer had the part instock and it was cheap. That was a double surprise. Good luck on the rest of your install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding to my post. I called an indy shop this morning and, amazingly he had one and, it was actually the HD factory part. $10 bucks later and some time the install was a success. Only lacking mufflers for a complete stage 1 upgrade. Now to talk the wife into believing that I must have them lol.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Thanks for responding to my post. I called an indy shop this morning and, amazingly he had one and, it was actually the HD factory part. $10 bucks later and some time the install was a success. Only lacking mufflers for a complete stage 1 upgrade. Now to talk the wife into believing that I must have them lol.

Wow! What a great ending to this story. :thumb

Sometimes it works out. Remember this moment the next time you're lost and your knuckles are bleeding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:biking:Without a doubt Chief. Even got to test ride before the rain really set in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts