Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put new vance&hines shortshots staggered on my 08' Dyna Superglide Custom. I'm getting conflicting answers on whats needed if I put the new pipes on. My question is do I need to put a new air filter and power commander or not.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yes and no .. pipes you should be able to get away with no tuner .. course it wont really give you any more power as the engine will still be strangled .. so add the air filter more air in more out now for sure you need a fuel tuner.. I prefer the TFI unless you plan cams or so other stuff i would look at it easy to tune and no need to run to the dyno is you change something later

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So your saying I can get away with out the air filter or power commander.Will my bike have any problems if I just install the exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
133 Posts
maybe maybe not .. most people say you can get away with just the pipes all i know is my Road King ran way hot with just the air cleaner i had to go to tuner when i went with pipes for sure

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maybe. I installed V&H SSS on my 04 Deuce after the Stage 1 was done. It sounded like the 4th of July (popped like a mo fo) when backing off the throttle. Once I installed the PC III - situation improved 100%. As for the Short Shot Staggereds - I quickly got to the point of hating them (I also installed Thunder Monster power baffels in them). Got to admit it was kind of cool getting that 'Harley' sound (particularly compared to the stock exhaust) for about a week, but then I quickly got to the point I was embarrased to ride it, it was so loud. To each their own I guess. I think I'm gonna leave the stock exhaust on the my new Ultra.
But then what do you expect on a Geezer Glide.

·
Registered
541 Posts
So your saying I can get away with out the air filter or power commander.Will my bike have any problems if I just install the exhaust pipes?
Folks say maybe, but let's look at the facts. Your Harley comes from the factory too lean for it's own good. There are people getting first degree burns on the inside of their thighs if they get caught-up in traffic and can't get air flowing to the engine! This heat can be reduced by literally 100 degrees at a stand-still by adding some sort of fuel management that improves the fuel mix. Adding freer flowing exhaust pipes will only make the engine run hotter.

Even without new pipes or a new A/C, I'd highly recommend at least H-D's SERF (Screamin' Eagle Race Fueler) or even Nightrider's XIEDs, which do work as confirmed by my dealer. If you end up with a new exhaust and A/C, get the SERT (Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner) which is like a PowerCommander III, but your dealer won't refuse to honor your factory warranty and you'll be able to retain the O2 sensors, which will be very beneficial if you find yourself on a road trip and in turn start changing altitudes a lot.

The carbed engines had some play where you could put pipes on and not necessarily have to do anything else to the engine. With an EFI, everything is so... digital... that it's just not an option. You need to richen the fuel mixture or risk internal damage to your engine. Plus, you'll get a smoother power band, cooler engine, and a more "accurate" H-D sound (which thrives on a richer fuel mix).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same question. 08 street bob vance & hines big shots and fuel pak but stock air filter an box. should I upgrade? Bought bike this way.:new Don't know if I have the stage 1 upgrade. Can I get away with adjusting the fuel pak?
thanx Isaac

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
yes, EFI needs commander & air filter. bike will act up, power commander is the jet/brains- tuning if you will, for the bike. Believe it or not a simple pipe swap messes up the whole EFI system & handling. In the past w/ carbs obviously, get the right jet pin, tweak the carb good to go...not anymore

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe. I installed V&H SSS on my 04 Deuce after the Stage 1 was done. It sounded like the 4th of July (popped like a mo fo) when backing off the throttle. Once I installed the PC III - situation improved 100%. As for the Short Shot Staggereds - I quickly got to the point of hating them (I also installed Thunder Monster power baffels in them). Got to admit it was kind of cool getting that 'Harley' sound (particularly compared to the stock exhaust) for about a week, but then I quickly got to the point I was embarrased to ride it, it was so loud. To each their own I guess. I think I'm gonna leave the stock exhaust on the my new Ultra.
But then what do you expect on a Geezer Glide.
There's such a thing as too loud?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking to put new vance&hines shortshots staggered on my 08' Dyna Superglide Custom. I'm getting conflicting answers on whats needed if I put the new pipes on. My question is do I need to put a new air filter and power commander or not.
i would it makes it run alot better that is what i did and i love it

·
Ride it!
305 Posts
Best bet is air filter change and the race tuner, the race tuner is more versatile than the power commanders and fuel packs, especially if you are planning motor work in the future, if you are just gonna do pipes for sure, then go with the fule pack or the power commander, that way you can do all the work yourself.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Here's the answer just pipes..no breather or Power commander..NO, CAN PUT ON PIPES!!:thumb

Once you go to a breather, YES EVERYTHING IS REQUIRED...

I just installed BIG SHOTS on my RK, bike runs fine, but I am going w/ the breather so I have to get PC as well now....more HP, bike becomes stage 1:thumb:nod

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 09 fxdc and i had to but it was what the dealer told me but my cousin has a wide glide and he only put the pipes on and it works good

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a question for you guys. Yes I'm new here. Had the dealer install Vance & Hines True duals, the Stage 1 Air Filter, and a Power Commander V. The bike sounds great, but it's got a habit of motor shutdown, accompanied by a loud "Ka-chunk" sound from the motor when I downshift to second or first. The clutch is engaged and I am either stopped or rolling slowly in 1st or 2nd gear. What could cause this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
they don't make the race fueler anymore. reason is it sucked.
VNH short shots are good for top end and are pretty ****ing loud.
Not to mention the quality of their systems has gone way down in recent months.
Why not pick a pipe that puts the powerband where you ride the most.
I run THUNDERHEADER 2 INTO 1'S on all my bikes.
I also run stage 1 aircleaners and a power commander.
One of my bikes I have dyno tuned with a screamin eagle race tuner.
if you're gonna do it, go big or go home.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I know I am late on this, but I was told by the Harley tech when I bought my 08 that you can run a stage 1 upgrade without a remap. I have heard this same thing from other sources. Applies to the 08 and up. From what I understand this was due to Harley getting their ass kicked by the EPA and having to quit selling the original SERT. Apparently they did something with the stock map to make in usable with stage 1 as they knew 90% of their buyers would be going that route. I ran my SE air filter and Rinehart 2:1 without a map for a long time until my SERT came in.

The tech also told me the stock air filter on the 08 and up flow much free'er than the 07 and down and that buying the SE unit was just throwing money away. I don't have any dyno proof to this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts