Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5'7'' and ride a 2012 SG, ride 2 up on an occasion. I would like to lower my bike 1 to 2 inches, my local Harley dealer says I can use the front shocks from an 14 Ultra Low to help with this but nothing for the rear. Any suggestions would be a big help before I start putting money into my dealer. Thanks

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
The SG already comes about 1" lower than the utlras, but there are other lowering kits out there. One would be to go with an air ride set up. You could also look at different seats. I know some on here have had their seats tailored to meet their needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
baggerboy, not familiar with the "air ride set up" you mention, where can I get some info on this? I will look into a seat modification. Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have my seat at a shop right now that is narrowing it a little and lowering it by 1/2". He says this should give you 2 inches more reach. I was planning to use Mean City Cycles but then found a place within driving distance for me.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Check into Dirty Air ride, that's what I have, and I am very pleased with it. Others on here have other brands, and I'm sure they will chime in. But some others that I have looked at are Legends and Arnott (sp). And I'm not sure if any will help out with keeping you feet flat at stop signs, but they will definitley help the ride quality. I'm not 100% on the company that does the seat mods, but if you search, you should find it pretty easy as it has been discussed on here a good bit. Hope you can figure out something that will help you get the both of both worlds!

·
Banned
71 Posts
I am 5'7'' and ride a 2012 SG, ride 2 up on an occasion. I would like to lower my bike 1 to 2 inches, my local Harley dealer says I can use the front shocks from an 14 Ultra Low to help with this but nothing for the rear. Any suggestions would be a big help before I start putting money into my dealer. Thanks
I have my seat at a shop right now that is narrowing it a little and lowering it by 1/2". He says this should give you 2 inches more reach. I was planning to use Mean City Cycles but then found a place within driving distance for me.
Rework your seat, not lower the bike. Lowering the bike opens up a whole can of worms .

:biker:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't lower your bike. I'm 5'4 and I've lowered a previous SG and added an air ride on my '13 SG. Not worth the money. If you like the stock seat, then send it to MeanCity Cycles. Great people to deal with and they will get you lower. A good pair of logger boots will get you to where you need to be.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am 5' 7" and I sit flat footed on mt 08 Road Glide and it has 13 inch shocks in the rear and the front is stock height too. I just went to the HD Leather Low Profile seat and everything is good, Also that is the most comfortable seat I ever had.
I had a seat custom upholstered (no foam work) by Mean City Cycle and they screwed it up and even after I sent it back for them to fix it it was still screwed up, for me sending my seat to MCC was a big waste of money. I found a local upholsterer and he does a great job for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all thanks so much to all that has given input to my problems, I will be taking my seat to a local shop for modification and I am going to up grade my rear shocks to improve the ride for my better half. I will look into a more aggressive boot height and tread. Am so looking forward to this years riding season since I got my SG so late in the season last year.

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dug. Sounds like you're on the road to comfort and safety. Consider showing up to one of the forum rides this season to show off the goods and meet some great people.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Too cold to take a test ride in the Chicago area now so all I've done is sit on the Electra Glide Limited (standard) and the new Electra Glide "Low". At 5'8" (180lbs) with a 29" inseam, the "low" does seem to feel like a better fit for me (as is the reach) . Of course with boots on, the 2 inch difference between the two is somewhat reduced. So, I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which size is best for me. One buddy mentioned that the "standard" size would have a greater number of eligible buyers when the time came to sell it......of course selling it isn't really high on my agenda at the moment because I haven't even bought it yet....LOL.

Any words of wisdom? My intital belief is that the most important consideration is how the model fits me NOW and I shouldn't worry about the difficulty to sell it in years to come.

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
Too cold to take a test ride in the Chicago area now so all I've done is sit on the Electra Glide Limited (standard) and the new Electra Glide "Low". At 5'8" (180lbs) with a 29" inseam, the "low" does seem to feel like a better fit for me (as is the reach) . Of course with boots on, the 2 inch difference between the two is somewhat reduced. So, I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which size is best for me. One buddy mentioned that the "standard" size would have a greater number of eligible buyers when the time came to sell it......of course selling it isn't really high on my agenda at the moment because I haven't even bought it yet....LOL.

Any words of wisdom? My intital belief is that the most important consideration is how the model fits me NOW and I shouldn't worry about the difficulty to sell it in years to come.

Buy YOUR bike, Rob.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
You mentioned riding 2 up, is there a particular problem that occurs then? Do you have a problem getting flat footed, or does the bike just feel top heavy? Others made suggestions to help your feet make better ground contact, which should help, but if it's the feel of the bike then that's different. I believe the SG has a 25" seat height, which is already lower then most. I have a 2015 SGS, am 6', get plenty of ground contact with my big feet, but it feels different than any bike I've ever owned. Especially, 2 up and even 1 up at low speeds. It feels top heavy to me, but I've been told that will change with time in the saddle. Don't know what you had before your SG, but it's a lot of bike, at least for me it is, but I'll get used to it with time on the road. Lowering your bike reduces your lean angle, which can effect your ability to make any short radius dips/turns. You can bottom out your running boards and frame too quickly if you're bike is too low to the ground.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts

Yea like the wise old Chief said...go for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used Burly Slammers to lower my '12 SG. Loved it. Made ride better according to my wife. Rear shock was adjustable for 2 up riding. Front used a spring cartridge replacement. Easy. Worked great.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Whatever possible buyers you might lose from buying the low you very well might recover in more women being able to buy and ride it. Would you buy a car that doesn't "fit" with plans to change the seat and put blocks on the pedals? Buy the one that fits YOU and deal with the future when you finally get there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Agree with btsom.........buy what fits you . If you are already thinking about possible resale maybe you are not really ready to spend that much cash on it. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts