Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month I have been looking forward to a business trip, because I was going to get paid time and mileage to take the bike on a 600 mile road trip. I am supposed to leave Sunday. On my way to work last night the bike started clattering like a diesel. The mechanic they had listen to it said it was either cam chain tensioner or lifter going bad. They also can't get it in the shop till next week. So now I have have a 600 mile trip in 3 days and no vechicle. I can get a rental car, but man that bums me out.
Okay done with pity trip. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Looks like it is time to find a quick dusty n rusty but well running Harley, ride it for the trip and either keep it or pretty it up and sell it for more than you paid

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me the thought of trading in or renting have gone through my mind. I don't believe I can convince the company to pay 4 times a car rental for a bike rental. All extra income is going for a 17 day ride next month.I actually am worried about driving a car. My wife made me drive the truck last week and then got mad because I wasn't using my blinker. I started paying attention and when I would be about to turn I would push on the steering will with my thumb. True story.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My wife made me drive the truck last week and then got mad because I wasn't using my blinker. I started paying attention and when I would be about to turn I would push on the steering will with my thumb. True story.

That's no joke. I was in the car for the first time in days and I tried to downshift my automatic transmission with my left foot.

And worse...I about broke my hand trying to put it through the door giving the cycle wave to an oncoming Harley!!!!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
My company pays $56.5 cents per mile for usage of a private vehicle for company purposes. That's the IRS standard.

That banks to $339 if yours does the same!!! You should be able to sent a Harley for that.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
This is a true story...

One time I turned the key on and for a good 10 seconds couldnt figure out how to start it! Then I realized it has no starter button you have to turn the key!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My company pays $56.5 cents per mile for usage of a private vehicle for company purposes. That's the IRS standard.

That banks to $339 if yours does the same!!! You should be able to sent a Harley for that.
When they open I'm going to drop it off and see. But their website shows $750 for the week. That is how long I'll be gone.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
That's no joke. I was in the car for the first time in days and I tried to downshift my automatic transmission with my left foot.

And worse...I about broke my hand trying to put it through the door giving the cycle wave to an oncoming Harley!!!!
Creatures of habit, muscle memory, or just wishiful thinking?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,807 Posts
Creatures of habit
I was driving my wife's car in dense high speed traffic, after maybe 3 weeks of bike only.

With lots of trucks, traffic in front of me divides abruptly and I drove right through a blizzard of wood shards

where a pallet or 2 had fallen off a truck and been immediately pounded to shrapnel,

as I'm dodging and butt-puckering, thinking disaster is imminent, I had a flash of thinking

"..and here I am without my helmet.."

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still discouraged. Made it back from trip in rental car. Called to day to check on bike. :( I haven't heard why yet, but they are going to have to rebuild engine. With the holidays they aren't sure of when the parts will arrive, so they told me next Wednesday at best. Luckily warranty is covering everything.
Meanwhile I have had to spend 85 dollars in gas driving the gas guzzler to work this week. Unhappy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts