Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 Electra Glide. The front brake lever travels almost all the way to the front grip. So I replaced the master cylinder, bled the brakes, cleaned the pistons replaced the bleeder valves and re-bled the system. The pads look very good. No change in lever pull. When engaging the front brakes, if you pump the brakes, the lever will only travel about 1/2 way like normal. But as soon as you disengage the lever, it will pull almost all the way to the grip. Any suggestions??? I'm getting very frustrated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 Electra Glide. The front brake lever travels almost all the way to the front grip. So I replaced the master cylinder, bled the brakes, cleaned the pistons replaced the bleeder valves and re-bled the system. The pads look very good. No change in lever pull. When engaging the front brakes, if you pump the brakes, the lever will only travel about 1/2 way like normal. But as soon as you disengage the lever, it will pull almost all the way to the grip. Any suggestions??? I'm getting very frustrated.
Normal for bikes of that era. My 04 RG lever pulls about 3/4 until I get brakes, but the lever is hard at that point.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Reactions: Central joe

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dave, as far as I know, this was very common for bikes of that era. This has been confirmed to me by reputable mechanics. However, I intend to read your write up. If the condition can be corrected, I am all for it.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It's "normal" if the service is ignored. I spent countless hours researching and correcting this issue on many, many bikes where dealers told the customer, "it's normal."

My 2005 lever was like that. It's now as hard as diamond in an ice storm...........

Reactions: Central joe

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's "normal" if the service is ignored. I spent countless hours researching and correcting this issue on many, many bikes where dealers told the customer, "it's normal."

My 2005 lever was like that. It's now as hard as diamond in an ice storm...........
I'll give it a shot. BTW, just as an FYI, I never use dealer mechanics. I don't trust them as far as I can spit. But, that's just me. :)

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
There's good and bad dealer mechs, just like there's good and bad Indy mechs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Like Dave said .
I've corrected many low front brake lever complaints .
Also check the front rotors for warpage . Warpage produces a pumping action on the caliper pistons which causes excessive lever travel .

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I'll give it a shot. BTW, just as an FYI, I never use dealer mechanics. I don't trust them as far as I can spit. But, that's just me. :)
I learned long ago, the only way for a new young mechanic to learn is on your bike. They seem to save the 15 year mech's for tough jobs. I want to pick the mechanic... not the service manager, I want to know who is working on my bike. Not all mechanics are alike or the same, so just because they work at a Harley dealer, doesn't mean they are good mechanics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thanks Dave63. Just fixed my spongy front brake lever on my 2006 Ultra with your fix. Took about ten minutes, and now lever is solid as a rock. It would pump up, but after releasing a few seconds, on the next pull, it was all the way against the grip. I was just about to buy a new master cyl when I saw this thread. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's nothing normal about a low brake lever.....period.

Your calipers need to be removed from the fork legs and cleaned. Typical 2000+ issue for 4 piston front calipers.

Sticky with instructions: 2000-2007 Roadking/Ultra/Big Twin 4 piston caliper brake...
Thanks for the info. I've been dealing with a soft front brake lever for a while now, and have done everything except replace the calipers and rotors. After reading your post, and hearing the dealer tell me I needed to take out a second mortgage, found that only one piston of four was coming out. Old toothbrush, brake cleaner, and Wala...back in business. Life is good again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's nothing normal about a low brake lever.....period.

Your calipers need to be removed from the fork legs and cleaned. Typical 2000+ issue for 4 piston front calipers.

Sticky with instructions: 2000-2007 Roadking/Ultra/Big Twin 4 piston caliper brake...
Agreed no offense but, **** that bikes of that era shit. Soft brakes is bullshit. You stopped at the MC like Dave says, keep going all the way through, you're not done yet!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
^^^ ?

Reactions: 1/2 Ton
1 - 20 of 20 Posts