Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike is 2018 Heritage 114 with about 8650 miles. I just got the new OE Dunlops installed at a HD dealership about three weeks ago. On the ride home, I noticed a vibration at low speed, but thought it might just be a break-in thing. Over time, I continued noticing it at low speeds, normally while braking, so I decided I needed a new brake pad. But then yesterday, I tested at low speeds without brakes, and still felt it.

The vibration occurs somewhere around 15-20mph EDIT: actually closer to 10mph, and it feels like something is scrubbing, causing the bike to shake a bit. I do not feel it in my body, only in my hands or feet while they are touching controls. I don't know if that's because of the location of the source of the vibration, or if it's just because I'm making tighter contact and paying attention there. I feel it in my left hand (which is typically holding the clutch in when this occurs), my right hand (whether or not holding the brake in), my right foot (when pressing the brake), and my left foot (when on the shifter).

Based on online research, I think it's either a problem with the tire, or a problem with the tire installation (eg balance), or it could be a rotor or bearing problem. However, it would be very coincidental to have a rotor or bearing go bad just when I get new tires.

However, I'm far from an expert, so I wanted to post here to see if anybody can add to or correct my thought process. I have an appointment next week at the dealership for them to check it, but if there's a DIY solution or way I can verify what is causing the issue, I'd love to do that first. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you still within the two-year Harley-Davidson unlimited mileage warranty . . . I would stop by the dealership and have them look at it. That way it's documented in the system as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm just barely still in warranty. I have an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. Just making sure I'm barking up the correct tree, and checking if there's a test I can do that will eliminate any likely possibilities.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Throw 2oz balance beads in will fix if it has thrown a weight
Not a wise fix, since the tires are new. The beads could mask a defect in the tire. The guy humping tires is NEVER, a senior mechanic, its the new kid moving up from wash & detail that just got a wrench in his hand. \
That said. If it were a tire with some time on it then sure. The free weights are the ticket! JMO.

Reactions: Rawhide and KJinNC

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
It's possible the rotor got bent when the tire was changed. I have not had good luck with balancing beads. The local Dealership won't use them either. Just my experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to follow up on this for anybody wondering. I took the bike in and had them check it. I specifically said that I "feel a scrubbing" at 10 mph. I was sitting outside when the tech took it for a test ride. He came out fast and left the parking lot fast. I didn't see the ride itself, but about 5-8 minutes later, he came back in fast without speaking to me. About 20 minutes later, the girl at the desk came outside (covid era) to tell me "he did hear the noise you mentioned, but he checked, and there's nothing mechanically wrong with the wheels. He noticed you have some accessories."

My accessories are a phone mount, a USB cable, and a cable for a PowerVision. I took it like, "we're not going to void your warranty over the PowerVision, but we could," so I didn't press the matter. Of course, that may not be what she meant. However, for one, I didn't really "hear" a sound. I "felt" a scrubbing at low speeds. I am concerned he was checking for the wrong thing. Second, I cannot imagine how a phone mount and cables would cause a scrubbing I feel in the handlebars, brake pedal, and shifter pedal, unless it was somehow touching the wheel, which it is not. I do have an engine guard that I installed myself shortly before getting new tires, so I am wondering if it's possible it's too tight/too loose and there's a harmonics issue at that speed. But I'm grasping at straws there.

Anyway, I decided basically to ignore it unless it gets worse. Thanks for all suggestions, and I'll post if the situation changes.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Take a ride to a different shop. They're obviously not listening to your concerns. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: KJinNC

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I know this thread is 4 mos old, is mid winter and riding season is over depending on where you live. There are white dots on the tire side wall that should be aligned up with the schrader valve. Mfg'r puts it there for that specific purpose. Going to another dealer as 1/2 Ton suggested is also a good idea. It's like surfing call center reps until you get one that provides the solution. The 4th one usually does the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts