Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Heritage came back from the 5000 check with a vibration I never noticed before. And after 400 miles its still there.

It's not engine rpm related because it happens at any rpm.

I feel it when slowing down and it kicks in at 20 through 15 mph.

I can have it in gear or in neutral; reving the engine or not.

Applying front or rear brakes or not and just coasting down.

I thought it was the drive belt and took it back. They said it was a little too tight and adjusted it. They found some loose spokes and took off the wheel to do it on a balancer. They said no wobbling out of the spoke attachments and no problem with bearings.

My only clue now is sticking caliper on the rear wheel. When I got it back, they had washed it. After 400 miles there was a lot of soot on the back wheel and now I'm thinking brake. There's no noise.

It is slightly less noticeable. I assume they had to readjust the brake after taking the wheel off and returning it because the brake pedal was noticeably mushy for the first few miles on the return trip home. I had to pump it up to get rid of the mush. Most, maybe all of that is gone.

ANY CLUES??? don't know what to do at this point. I know I'm not imagining it. I would have been happy if it were a function of rpm cause that would be some kind of harmonic vibration with other parts on the bike, but this is ALWAYS at 20 - 15 mph only.

thanks for any insight

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,837 Posts
I feel for ya, I hate chasing down stuff like that and I had the exact same problem once cept my vibration was at 40 down to 45 mph range going up or coming down. I took it in and they said back wheel/tire was out of balance, after that the vibe came in at the 25 to 30 range.

I was doing oil change and checkin out stuff and a good friend came over and he is a clean freak and likes cleaning bikes so he started in on front rim and noticed a small noise and you could barely feel something going on

Anyway new bearing in front and it was gone..dealer mech said he looked at it when they had it and there was no signs of any problem? maybe it got worse the hundred miles I put on it after they had it

The bearing looked fine in hand?? Hope you find out what your deal is, I've had stuff like that on cages also..it will drive ya nuts but sooo nice when you get it nailed down.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Where do you feel it the most? Handle bars in the seat, foot pegs? Had strange vibe in my Softail at speed on freeway, It was the rear cylinder head engine mount bolt, 9/16 wrench give it a pull. Check your engine mounting bolts top and bottom.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel it in the handle bar and floor board. More on the right side.

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
I wonder what they did, the 5k is a fairly basic service compared to a 1k or 10k. No adjustments or anything critical.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder what they did, the 5k is a fairly basic service compared to a 1k or 10k. No adjustments or anything critical.
They tightened the drive belt and that's when the vibration appeared. But now that they reset it, it's still there.

Has anyone else noticed such a vibration? It always appears precisely at 20 down to 15. Its CRAZY.

My concern is, if I just ride it, will I have an unhappy ending?

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Right side has your exhaust pipes? Is rear wheel aligned properly? Drive belt should track to left side of rear pulley.
Had some vibes when I first got mine, was lugging in wrong gear, felt in rear. Just throwing things out there JPR.....

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right side has your exhaust pipes? Is rear wheel aligned properly? Drive belt should track to left side of rear pulley.
Had some vibes when I first got mine, was lugging in wrong gear, felt in rear. Just throwing things out there JPR.....
I'll drop the bags and check the pipes. Thanks for your input :)

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
I'll drop the bags and check the pipes. Thanks for your input :)
Your welcome. Get it fixed the weekend is almost here....:thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts