Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2014 Superlow 1200T and being this is my first Harley, since selling my Yamaha V Star, I was a little concerned about the vibration factor associated with Sportsters that I have always heard and read about. Well I purchased the bike anyway and while the bike does vibrate significantly more than my Yamaha I enjoy every minute of it. A friend of mine calls it feedback and I agree. Before I bought the bike I read a review from one of the motorcycle magazines and in the review they state that after test riding the bike it begins to vibrate more once it reaches 65 MPH, but I find the exact opposite on my bike. To me it feels like at around 70 MPH and around 3400 RPMs the bike smooths out with less vibration and it has a whole different feel to it. I was wondering if this is just my imagination, or the fact that it's reaching it's max torque had something to do with it. Sorry if this is a dumb question but does anyone else get the same feeling?

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct Brodie5775. I had a Yamaha V Star 950 prior to my Sportster and once it reached 60MPH the vibrations began, nothing crazy but it did vibrate, but its the opposite with my Sportster. One of the things I like about my Sportster over the 950 is that I'm not constantly looking for a 6th gear. The V Star Revved high and drove me nuts

·
Registered
844 Posts
my 2014 XL1200C starts to vibrate at about 55, then at 70 and in 5th gear, it stops. As others have said, normal. My bike does not feel like it is running well (happy) til I am going faster than 70!!!

·
Registered
39,575 Posts
Since 2004 sportsters have a rubber mount motor.
Rubber mount motors resonate more at idle, than at highway speed.

FXRs and Dynas are the same way. Softails, just the opposite.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
All vibrations have their sweet spot. You found yours. HD could engineer the vibration out of their bikes with ease if they wanted to. They don't because it's part of the experience. The sound, the feel, the feedback are all part of the rider experience of what they've got between their legs.

Ride on.

·
Registered
39,575 Posts
70-75mph seems to be the sweet spot... I try to keep it there to avoid vibrations :D ... yeah...
Less vibrations gotta be better for the motor! :nod

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you sure it's the bike and not you old man :). Jerry, this is Paul and I did the deed today...2014 Sportster 72, denim black. Picking it up on Monday. Any grief from my wife and I point the finger at you :)

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Explain to the officer that pulls you over that the bike isn't happy below 70. :D

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you sure it's the bike and not you old man :). Jerry, this is Paul and I did the deed today...2014 Sportster 72, denim black. Picking it up on Monday. Any grief from my wife and I point the finger at you :)
Haha I knew you were going to do it after Saturdays conversation. You gotta stop by to show me. I take full blame for your purchase, and Eliane will be happy to blame me also. The 72 and the 48 were top contenders for me, but I opted for the Superlow because of the touring set-up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts