Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 07 Sportster with vibration between 2900 thru 3200 rpms. Service adjusted the drive belt with no effect. The factory rep rode the bike and said it was the Rush slip-ons. After putting stock mufflers back on have the same problem. Would appreciate any ideas since the dealer doesn't seem to know what to do. When I reach the problem rpms in neutral I can feel the vibs. They are worse when riding going up the rpm range. All other rpms are smooth and when going down thru the bad area there are no vibs. The motor mount hardware is good and tight.
Thanks,
bob

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Make sure you tell the factory rep that he's an idiot.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Maybe you can seek out other Sportster riders, even better if they have the same bike, and get their opinion.

Somtimes, the charitable thing to say about the guy who tells you what's what at the dealership,
might be that he must be an idiot. More likely that he's a liar and a cheat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a 2004 883 That started to do that. In 5th from about 57/58 to 63/65 it would shake and then quit. Did it in all gears. I did not have a tac. :ride

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
My Sportster 1200 low vibated also after 1000 mi. check up problem dissapered talked to the dealers son told me it most likely was the prmery chain ajustment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input. The primary chain adjustment sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a shot.
Really like this forum.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You guys sure are tough on the Harley dealers. I bought a 07 883L, rode it 3 miles and went back to the dealer with it. I told him I owned a 2 1/2 ton army truck that rode better then this thing. He just smiled and shrugged his sholders. They aren't idiots, they just don't care. I fixed the bike with no help from them. At 60mph, 3200 rpms the bike is very smooth, at 70mph, 3800 rpms, the handle bars are rock solid but I feel a littlle bit of viberation in the seat. Nothing that would bother you. I think it is a great bike, but the dealership is not that great.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
How did you fix the problem?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Softer shocks on the back with more travel. The std. shock for this bike is a 11 inch with 1 1/4 inches of travel. I put on 13 1/4 "Works" shocks with 3 inches of travel. I also had a guy put more padding in the seat. What I did was pay extra money for the L model, and then spend more money getting it back basically to what the standard 883 is. Live and learn. The front forks are still lowered, so the fork angle changed a couple of degrees by installing the longer shocks. This didn't seem to effect the steering one way or the other.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I must have fond the one good harley dealer in the world. American Harley in Leominster Ma. so far no complaints

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vibration

Yes, it was the secondary belt that was adjusted. I checked primary chain and it had 1/2" upward movement so I assume it is ok. Was wondering if the primary chain could be removed allowing the engine to be run without the trans. This would isolate the engine. My gut feel is the engine is the source of the vibs. Also, do you think remapping would help.
Thanks,
bob

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Did you chek your plugs? I'd check the manual for the adjustment on primary chain make sure it is supposed to be 1/2". I wouldn't go taking anything apart untill I checked out all the simple things 1st. Try haveing someone you trust testing the bike who owns a sporty.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I just took my sporty out onto 495 for the 1st time. brought it up to 70mph. the dam thing vibrated more than a wet dog in a cold rain. And it was coming off the engine. as soon as I'm able (maybe a yr. or two) I'm up grading to a smoother bike. maybe a dyna it can't be to heavy a bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure how to check the plugs. Pulled them anyway and they looked ok - not real black and not real white and all the metal seemed to still be on the electrodes.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I just took my sporty out onto 495 for the 1st time. brought it up to 70mph. the dam thing vibrated more than a wet dog in a cold rain. And it was coming off the engine. as soon as I'm able (maybe a yr. or two) I'm up grading to a smoother bike. maybe a dyna it can't be to heavy a bike.
What kinda surface are we talking about asphault or concrete with rain grooves?

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Do you have a buddy that rides, maybe you could get someone to ride ur bike and get their opinion. I have an 05 sporty and it shakes sometimes when im goin through the gears but smooths out at about 45 or 50. may just be the nature of the beast. Does it vibrate or does the whole bike shake? Could it be tires or wheels? does it shake bad when it's idoling. What about when the bike is sittin still and you bring up the RPM's ?

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do you have a buddy that rides, maybe you could get someone to ride ur bike and get their opinion. I have an 05 sporty and it shakes sometimes when im goin through the gears but smooths out at about 45 or 50. may just be the nature of the beast. Does it vibrate or does the whole bike shake? Could it be tires or wheels? does it shake bad when it's idoling. What about when the bike is sittin still and you bring up the RPM's ?
Sounds like my bike also. Nature of th beast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found these Velva Ride motor mounts and stabilizers on the internet. They seem kinda expensive. Anyone familiar with them or have any experience with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vibration solution

Think I found the source of vibration on the Sportster. Removed the front motor stabilizers and then tested it in neutral and riding and there was no more vibration in the problrm area ( 2900-3200rpm).
Now all I have to do is convince the dealer to replace them.
Wish me luck.
bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts