Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would a VRSC(D) vibrate after being stored for the winter?

Would having Supertrapp Fatshots installed have anything at all to do with it?

I'm not the rider, but can tell you what was told to me. The bike was ridden today for the first time this season and for the first time with the new pipes. At stops the bike vibrated so much the headlight cowl seemed to be vibrating. When I asked what it felt like the answer I got was, nothing like my Sportster which was a 1200L.

The engine ran rough until it warmed up almost felt as if it could have sputtered. This happened when first used today and then after a two hour stop. Once it warmed up the sputter feeling subsided. The vibration did not.

I asked this in a few places and am interested in this groups thoughts.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Ditto Lil....bad gas, or moisture in the fuel. EFI bikes will tolorate it better, as they'll sputter, rather then die and not restart.

Treat the gas with some fuel/water treatment, unless the person is capable of draining the tank and putting in new fuel.

The vibration almost sounds like it may have partially, if not completely fouled a plug.....

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you treat the fuel before you stored it ,It sounds like bad gas.
The mechanic told her there was no need because she had filled the tank to the top before storing.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ditto Lil....bad gas, or moisture in the fuel. EFI bikes will tolorate it better, as they'll sputter, rather then die and not restart.

Treat the gas with some fuel/water treatment, unless the person is capable of draining the tank and putting in new fuel.
Will do Dave, Dean. Thank you gentlemen.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The mechanic told her there was no need because she had filled the tank to the top before storing.
Foul.

TOday's gas goes bad in almost 2 months, were as older fuels used to take 6.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
Ahh, that explains why my lawn mower was so hard to start.

Didn't know gas went bad that fast.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Was the bike tuned after the exhaust was installed? Whats nice about the Supertrapps is that you can "tune" your bike by adding or removing discs. It could be a combo of the old gas and a bad tune.

A quick sniff of the exhaust will help. No smell? too lean. Stinky? too rich.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
has the exhaust been removed for any reason before or during the storage and mods. i ask because on my 06 D i had messed with the exhaust and had it touching the frame below the clutch cover. vibrated to be damned.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Sea foam is the best gas treatment it done wonder on rides out here ethenol sucks always treat your gas before storage no matter what anyone say trust me.
New fuel and a set of properly gaped plugs is a great start.Your welcome.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,186 Posts
I'd ride it, till it needs new gas, then I'd ride it.

:ride

I you ride it hard, it'll need new gas in an hour.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the bike tuned after the exhaust was installed? Whats nice about the Supertrapps is that you can "tune" your bike by adding or removing discs. It could be a combo of the old gas and a bad tune.

A quick sniff of the exhaust will help. No smell? too lean. Stinky? too rich.
I'll have to check into these questions Ed.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
has the exhaust been removed for any reason before or during the storage and mods. i ask because on my 06 D i had messed with the exhaust and had it touching the frame below the clutch cover. vibrated to be damned.
The exhaust was put on late winter and the bike was started up yesterday.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
so LIL.. have we made a decision as to what was going on?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts