Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel a vibration in handlebars during deceleration and part throttle. Not always there. Kind of feels like wheel bearings, but I really think it's engine related. I've only had the bike a few months and pretty sure it been this way since purchase. It's a 2003 Dyna WG. Has auto primary tensioner and geared cams. I'm a bit worried it may be the cam gears, as I don't know if crankshaft runout was checked before the geared cams were installed. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Feel a vibration in handlebars during deceleration and part throttle. Not always there. Kind of feels like wheel bearings, but I really think it's engine related. I've only had the bike a few months and pretty sure it been this way since purchase. It's a 2003 Dyna WG. Has auto primary tensioner and geared cams. I'm a bit worried it may be the cam gears, as I don't know if crankshaft runout was checked before the geared cams were installed. Any thoughts ?
Jack it up spin front wheel with brake caliper off.
Then report back after introducing yourself in new members section.

Reactions: scspartan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get a vibration in the bars/frame its time to check crank runout. But that's on a drag bike.
If we assume crank run out, is this destructive ? I ride this bike a few hundred miles a month. Any cure for crank run out that does not involve engine removal/disassembly ? Putting the chain driven cams back is not really an option since I don't have any of the old parts.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would start by checking the motor mounts, then belt tension and primary chain adjustment among other things before tearing the engine apart.
Also the clutch basket.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would not assume it is crank run out right off the bat. As in every problem, check the easy things first, as Rusty said. All those things can cause a vibration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.. Engine oil was a full quart low. Added oil and never felt the vibration again. I wouldn't think a quart low could cause an issue like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts