Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this plug come partially loose and supposedly repaired at the local HD dealership twice before. Today it did it again. I had to lay on a wet parking lot to try to push it back together. Even though it felt tight the wiggle must have worked because the engine an batt. light went out. I rode the 12 miles or so home and the batt. read 13.2 with engine switched off. Next time may not be so lucky. Besides this takes away from my peace of mind. Any suggestions besides ringing somebody's neck at the dealership. My only thought, depending which side of plug is bad, is to have new plugs spliced in, or change parts ( volage reg. and/or stator)and that will be expensive. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It sounds like the female wiring terminals inside the plug (plastic insulator) need to be tightened up so they grip the male terminals in the other plug more securely. You can either tighten these female terminals by removing them from the insulator plug and squeezing them with needle nose pliers, or you could get new terminals from the Harley dealer and replace the old terminals, then reinsert them into the insulator plug.

Keep in mind, that a plug-in connector is designed for convenience. For ultimate reliability, you could choose to eliminate the plug altogether and splice the wires together permanently by butt-splice or soldering the wires directly. This is not usually necessary if the terminals are connecting properly.

--

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I had the problem, and cut about 1/8" of rubber off of the the female socket with a razor. This let the male plugs make a bit more contact. I also pinched the female plugs a bit, and used a jewelers screwdriver to expand the male leads. You wouldn't believe how careful I am to not disturb that connection when I remove my oil filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts