Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about a VROD based chopper since the bike was first announced. I figured it would just be a matter of time until Paughco or someone came out with a frame and it would be easy peasy lemon squeezy. But that isn't what happened is it? Over on VRF I posted a question asking if anyone had developed a frame and no one was able to come up with a vendor.

So I started thinking about other options and then got an email from HawkStang who helped me gel up my thoughts. I had mentioned how easy Sportsters were to chop, especially as rigids as the engine and trans is integrated and adds strength and simplifies installation. HawkStang said I should go along the lines of adapting a commercial Sportster custom frame for the VR. I am grinding on this in my mind and would appreciate anyones input.

I'll write more later, gotta pay attention in class here.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
If you can come up with the specifications you want, you can get one made at Racing Innovations in Oklahoma City.

Sam Wills
Racing Innovations
13608 Railway Dr
Oklahoma City
405-749-0009

They did alot of the OCC frames before they got their own tube bender.

·
Registered
55 Posts
....well, why can't you get somebody to cut/weld a stock v-rod frame for it? It's already got everything it needs besides the chopped look. Might be easier for a welder to work with one known to fit all the parts in the right places?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Fred Kodlin also built a sweet little green one some years back now.
I say go for it - would be real sweet to have more VR based customs out there!!!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked with SmokenJoe at the 1130cc.com KC Rally. He brought along a Yamaha based chopper. He is going to set me up with his buddy that built the frame for that and I am going to see if we can build a drop-seat frame for a Revolution engine. I am presently keeping my eye out for a wrecked or stolen-then-trashed vrod that I can buy for a parts bike.

I would like to make a stretched chop with 45 degree rake. I would like to find an R because I think it would be cool to extend the R front end. The forks are 'zokes so I imagine I can get some extended tubes.

My only real concern is the radiator. When I had my R I intentionally left the radiator shrouds black when I painted it to try and draw the eye away from that area. The radiator area on the VROD gives it, in my opinion, a kind of heavy/dense look in that area. So on a chopper I am going to want that area as clean as possible. It will be a challenge to find a way to locate radiators that will function and look pleasing.

It will of course have a Sportster tank....coz I am an old guy.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Gazoo, Did you ever attempt this project?

·
PRO BIKE FLIPPER
1,351 Posts
savage cycles built a chopper using one

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts

·
PRO BIKE FLIPPER
1,351 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gazoo, Did you ever attempt this project?
No I never did. I ran into a member of the club I run with that did. See the pic's below. When he told me the hell he went through stretching the airbox cover I am glad I didn't. I don't think the bike looks that good in the pics, and in all reality doesn't really look too good in person.

[/IMG]

·
"Ain't quite right"™
2008 VRSCDX 2019 FXDR
11,273 Posts
Nope, it doesn't. Having the inner airbox sittin out like that, is not appealing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts